The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > APQP and PPAP
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

What are APQP and PPAP? - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
ppap (production part approval process), apqp (advanced product quality planning)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 9th March 2009, 07:07 PM
Miner

Total Posts: 4,042
Re: What are APQP and PPAP?

Typically a control plan is a type of quality plan. A control plan has a semi-standard format (each customer has their own standard) while the format of a quality plan is undefined. The quality plan is the collection of documents required to produce a product that meets requirements.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 8th April 2009, 06:15 AM
jhaworth

Total Posts: 3

Hi,
I work for a large FMCG who is introducing major changes both system and machine wise. Currently we dont do any process capability, FMEA's etc but are very keen and have the support to put what is needed in place to be a WCM.
But as part of bringing some structure to our processes we are looking at using APQP , without trying to scare some of the guys here by scaring them with a load of new tools.

Im putting a workshop together to give a tiny bit of why we want a capable process, very top line what the 5 stages are and a snipet of FMEA and process capabillity to really show the benefits get buy in then and then start the ball rolling. Workshop going to involve statapult so they practically can see what happening. (They will already had basic training in A3 problem solving, understand distribution and S.D).

After all that just really wanting any help on if this is right thing to do and advice or basic exercises which will help really!
Thanks Newby Jane
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 8th April 2009, 06:57 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,191

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jhaworth View Post

Hi,
I work for a large FMCG who is introducing major changes both system and machine wise. Currently we dont do any process capability, FMEA's etc but are very keen and have the support to put what is needed in place to be a WCM.
But as part of bringing some structure to our processes we are looking at using APQP , without trying to scare some of the guys here by scaring them with a load of new tools.

Im putting a workshop together to give a tiny bit of why we want a capable process, very top line what the 5 stages are and a snippet of FMEA and process capabillity to really show the benefits get buy in then and then start the ball rolling. Workshop going to involve statapult so they practically can see what happening. (They will already had basic training in A3 problem solving, understand distribution and S.D).

After all that just really wanting any help on if this is right thing to do and advice or basic exercises which will help really!
Thanks Newby Jane
Hello Jane,

The AIAG APQP guidelines are similar to the activities listed in clause 7.1 "Planning for Product Realization." You may want to point this out.

I can share an excercise with you that I conduct at the beginning of the APQP Course.
  • I break the group in teams of two.
  • Each team lists 5 problems that they have recently experienced.
  • Next they select the #1 problem and list the possible root causes.
  • Then I ask them to list all activities/controls that should have been implemented to prevent that problem form occurring.
  • I then point out how very smart we are in retrospect.
  • I explain that APQP asks us to be proactive and smart beforehand.
  • Next, I engage the group in a discussion about how much time they spend on proactive work versus reactive work and the costs associated with it.
I have some other APQP training stuff that I will dig up.

Good luck!

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 8th April 2009, 07:48 AM
jhaworth

Thanks Stijloor, I think I will give that a go and anything else you find would be a great help. Thanks very much. Jane
  Post Number #13  
Old 8th April 2009, 11:11 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,160

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jhaworth View Post

Hi,

Im putting a workshop together to give a tiny bit of why we want a capable process, very top line what the 5 stages are and a snipet of FMEA and process capabillity to really show the benefits get buy in then and then start the ball rolling. Workshop going to involve statapult so they practically can see what happening. (They will already had basic training in A3 problem solving, understand distribution and S.D).
Welcome, Jane. You might find that in general you get better results when you define your abbreviations. My assumption is that "FMCG" stands for "Fast Moving Consumer Goods" (a guess based on Googling) and "WCM" is "World Class Manufacturer" (my own guess), but I don't know what "stata "A3 problem solving" means. I'm guessing also that "statapult" refers to this thing.
  Post Number #14  
Old 9th April 2009, 03:30 AM
jhaworth

Hi Jim, Sorry I forget at times and slip into jargon mode!!
I work for a large food manufacturer who is working to be a world class manufacturer. We are very much at the start of that and laying the foundations. Most managers have gone through basic A3 problem solving which is a structured problem solving method (used commonly at Toytoa, there are many variants with 8D, PDCA and DMAIC styles) we have used it very much to get them to use data in solving problems to track the problem and to ensure they get to the root cause, so all basic stuff. And yes that is a statapult which we will practically be able to show if you control and reduce your variables then your process is more consistent. Thanks Jane
  Post Number #15  
Old 5th May 2009, 07:06 AM
TOS99

Total Posts: 1

Hello,
Can any1 explain difference for PPAP for inhouse manufacture products of auto OEMs ?

Post Number #16  
Old 30th September 2009, 11:30 AM
alebrijes

Total Posts: 4

Correction:

PPAP meaning is: Production Part Approval Process

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > APQP and PPAP