The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS) - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
collaboration, document control, knowledge management, qms (quality management system), iso 9001 - quality management systems, software (general topics), documents and documentation (general), wiki (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 20th February 2009, 11:11 AM
Le Chiffre

Total Posts: 241
Re: Using a wiki to implement a QMS

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Panchobook View Post

BTW, in your opinion, why is the Cove's wiki not used much?
Primarily because these forums are so comprehensive and convenient. Assuming people come here in search of a solution to a problem, the forums offer a search utility to check for an existing similar question or they post a new one and generally get a fairly good response within 24hrs.

I think the wiki vs. forum debate has happened here before but I believe people are more inclined to post individual opinions, however incomplete rather than collaborate on a complete and definitive answer.
Thanks to Le Chiffre for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 26th February 2009, 12:23 PM
Scott Catron

Total Posts: 673

The wiki started as an alternative to the Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations forum. The initial content was from Bill Pflanz's General Quality Assurance Glossary and grew from there. There are only a handful of Covers that learned wiki mark-up, so after the initial coding of the the glossary (done my Marc and myself on a previous version of the wiki), not much more has been done.

It's probably easier to find a quick definition of a term on the wiki, but if one wants to read interpretations and discussion, that is better served by the forums.

Last edited by Scott Catron; 11th June 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Thanks to Scott Catron for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 9th March 2009, 04:17 PM
Caster

Total Posts: 924

Thanks Pancho, Le Chiffre

I would never have thought to use a wiki for a QMS, I like the idea a lot.

We have both an intranet and a computerized QMS.

The problem here seems to be that the culture is "verbal", people "ask" and "get told" what to do.

Unfortunately in a verbal culture the power of a wiki (or any documented system) is lost.

Perhaps I can try this in my next job.

I see a business opportunity here to re sell an existing wiki software package with some value added ISO 9000 templates to get it started.

Just needs a snappy name for marketing.

How about TotalQualityWiki?

SixSigmaWiki?

Wiki9000?
  Post Number #12  
Old 13th March 2009, 05:15 AM
machrk

Total Posts: 102
Thumbs up Re: Using a wiki to implement a QMS

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Panchobook View Post

I had an epiphany recently.

.... The epiphany part is the realization of how incredibly, amazingly, unbelievably useful the wiki is to complete this process. In fact, it is so useful that I now feel this urge to evangelize. Hence my contribution here.

If one of you finds this half as useful as we did at Geometrica, my work is done.

Cheers!
Pancho

Pancho
amazing - I had read about your wiki a while back and here we are in the same forum!

I am a quality manager at a steel plant where there may be 10,000 people working on any day and although there are some procedures that are only used by a few, there are a number that everyone has to follow. I wasn't sure if we let everyone edit a wiki system on our site - from the shop floor to the ceo as there are mainy procedures with significant safety risks eg explosions, confined space etc

however I am really interested in how a wiki approach could be used to do the document review more efficiently

we use Microsoft Sharepoint for some systems, EMC's Documentum and Intranent pages managed by Access databases

I can see that with Sharepoint that the Document Libraries could be used for the procedures - once they have been developed through Sharepoint's wiki function.

I am also interested in how you got people to participate in updating the wiki - I find it easy - but many others are more comfortable with adding useful articles to the Sharepoint Document Library without putting any context around why they think the article is useful.

also in terms of records management - we would find 6 months too short - some of our procedures need to be kept for at least 10 years after being made obsolete - especially if there is a legal case that can drag out to over 10 years beyond an incident

so I have been intrigued since I first saw a posting about your system

KerrieAnne aka machrk
Thanks to machrk for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #13  
Old 15th March 2009, 04:40 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 792

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Caster View Post

The problem here seems to be that the culture is "verbal", people "ask" and "get told" what to do.

Unfortunately in a verbal culture the power of a wiki (or any documented system) is lost.
I think that if you manage to get at least one individual in Top Management to buy into the idea, the wiki will take off. As Top Management must buy into the QMS anyway, this may not be as hard as it seems. In reality the wiki is simply a tool for a much more effective QMS.

And the wiki (or rather, the QMS) should quickly shift the locus of power in an organization from the talkers to the writers.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Caster View Post

I see a business opportunity here to re sell an existing wiki software package with some value added ISO 9000 templates to get it started.

Just needs a snappy name for marketing.
Yep. If I wasn’t at this moment building domes, I’d do it myself!

How about Qwiki - the Quality wiki? Go fer it and remember us when you’re rich, ok?

In all seriousness, one thing that we touched on in the article only tangentially is the remarkably low cost of the tools. Both the wiki engine and Bugzilla are available in open source. But there are many ways a business built on this idea may add value: for example, (a) helping an organization break its “wiki panic”, (b) building the initial network of links in the wiki and guiding subsequent growth, so that the information remains accessible, and, as you propose, (c) templating the common parts of the QMS.

Cheers,
Pancho
  Post Number #14  
Old 15th March 2009, 04:50 PM
Pancho

Total Posts: 792

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by machrk View Post

amazing - I had read about your wiki a while back and here we are in the same forum!

I am a quality manager at a steel plant where there may be 10,000 people working on any day and although there are some procedures that are only used by a few, there are a number that everyone has to follow. I wasn't sure if we let everyone edit a wiki system on our site - from the shop floor to the ceo as there are mainy procedures with significant safety risks eg explosions, confined space etc
Hi, KerrieAnne! Small world indeed!

Yes, yours is quite a different environment from Geometrica. Although I am not certain that our experience would scale 100 times, there are a few features of our implementation that help in minimizing the risk that erroneous or malicious contributions would derail the system. We described them in the article, but essentially:

1. Any edit is reported immediately to the document’s responsible person by RSS or email who is obligated to review.
  2. All contributions are signed and dated, and can be rolled back.
  3. There is a mechanism to report “bugs”, correct them and take corrective action. In our experience this quickly becomes very popular (and useful), since it is a “safer” vehicle for someone that is not certain whether an edit to a document that they are contemplating is indeed desirable.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by machrk View Post

I am also interested in how you got people to participate in updating the wiki
The initial participation is the most difficult, particularly since wiki content exhibits strong “network effects”. In other words, before there is any wiki content, there is little incentive to use the tool. Fortunately for us, we had to write the documents for our QMS, wiki or not. We established weekly goals for documentation. Writing the documents on a wiki is initially no more difficult than writing them in Word, and we simply required the contributions to be on the wiki. Once we built a small but critical body of documents, the benefits of the wiki became compelling. Editing and new writing became much, much easier, and the documents were and are actually used!

One other advantage that we enjoyed at Geometrica is that we had been using a wiki for project management for over one year. All that had used that system were very enthusiastic when the QMS effort converted over to the wiki.

In the future, when we achieve collaboration utopia, all the brains in my organization will connect with wifi. In the meantime they can be on wiki.

Good luck!
Pancho
Thank You to Pancho for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #15  
Old 4th April 2009, 08:16 AM
machrk

Quid Pro Quo Re: Using a wiki to implement a QMS

thanks Pancho
actually we have just been audited to the EU's CE Marking for Construction Products Directive CPD 89/106/eec plus singapore's steel products BC1 :2008 for factory production control

the CE CPD is a maze of documents and I used the wiki in Microsoft Sharepoint to keep track of all the details - it helped enormously - so I guess it was sort of like your using a wiki for project management

cheers
KerrieAnne

Thanks to machrk for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #16  
Old 11th April 2009, 03:52 AM
machrk

Cool Re: Using a wiki to implement a QMS

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Scott Catron View Post

The wiki started as an alternative to the Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations forum. The initial content was from Bill Pflanz's General Quality Assurance Glossary and grew from there. There are only a handful of Covers that learned wiki mark-up, so after the initial coding of the the glossary (done my Marc an myself on a previous version of the wiki), not much more has been done.

It's probably easier to find a quick definition of a term on the wiki, but if one wants to read interpretations and discussion, that is better served by the forums.
maybe there aren't always links to Elsmar Cove's in the forum discussions - eg I like this one - http://elsmar.com/wiki/index.php/Usi..._documentation

cheers
KerrieAnne aka machrk

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates