The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS) - Page 4

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
collaboration, document control, knowledge management, qms (quality management system), iso 9001 - quality management systems, software (general topics), documents and documentation (general), wiki (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 19th June 2009, 12:32 PM
harishankarpv

Total Posts: 4
Re: Using a wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS)

Sure...the case is bulding up..once done ..i will be happy to share with you guys.

Hari

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 6th September 2009, 04:28 AM
jkuil

Total Posts: 246

Great concept. I am also looking at new web 2.0 tools to use for qualitymanagement. Wiki was the most obvious.

I have a few questions:
  • In your example it shows that the wiki page is growing fast is the amount of text. How do you assure that the QMS remains focussed on the critical to quality elements and is not used as a library?
  • Is there a link to registration of training when training is required?
  • In your experience, is the QMS consistent, do writer assure their pages are consistent with other wiki elements?
  • Has the wiki contributed to the social network within your company?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links

Post Number #27  
Old 6th September 2009, 10:30 AM
Pancho

Total Posts: 777

Hi, Jan,

Great questions. Here are my comments on each.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jkuil View Post

In your example it shows that the wiki page is growing fast is the amount of text. How do you assure that the QMS remains focussed on the critical to quality elements and is not used as a library?
Several points on this:
  1. Our wiki-based management system has grown to encompass more than ISO 9001. OH&S, Financial and General Management systems are being implemented.
  2. The optimal amount of documentation in a management system is very much dependent on its accessibility. A wiki provides great accessibility. We use indexes on every page (see Sample QMS Wiki Organization) and encourage contributors to use plenty of contextual links in the docs themselves.
  3. We try stick to the DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle. Links and "includes" allow this. See Using a Wiki for Document Control.
  4. Documentation in wiki grew very fast during initial implementation. It continues to grow, but at a more moderate pace.
  5. Issue tracking software is a now-indispensable companion to our wiki. We use Bugzilla. If redundant or otherwise undesirable documents appear, they are eventually flagged and then merged with others, or corrected or deleted.

Quote:

Is there a link to registration of training when training is required?
Yes. We keep many of our records right on the wiki, including this.

Quote:

In your experience, is the QMS consistent, do writer assure their pages are consistent with other wiki elements?
Mostly yes. Our procedure to create and edit documents requires contributors to DRY and Bugzilla helps in catching inadvertent violations. We've found the system to be self-correcting.

Our group is relatively small (about 40), and that may help, but I believe the system can scale up.

Quote:

Has the wiki contributed to the social network within your company?
Haven't really thought much about this one, but the wiki certainly increased tremendously network connectivity and made it asynchronous.

We haven't measured, but I believe internal email use has decreased. Firefighting has definitely decreased (as you'd expect with any QMS). Contributors to the wiki acquire "network status" as their contributions are visible to all.

We also have separate wiki spaces for uses outside the Management System, and all of them help in strengthening our internal "social network". One of them is a General wiki space, where, among other things, Geometrica employees keep a page on themselves and where we post news and links of general interest. Other applications where we use wiki spaces include Technical Notes, Project Management and Client interaction.

----

Hope the above is useful.

BTW I noticed that the link in the original post is redirecting to the wrong page, and I can't edit it here. Could a kind Cove moderator please change the link in the first comment of this thread to http://articles.geometrica.com/64.html ?

Cheers,
Pancho
Thank You to Pancho for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #28  
Old 6th September 2009, 10:41 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,173

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Panchobook View Post

<snip> BTW I noticed that the link in the original post is redirecting to the wrong page, and I can't edit it here. Could a kind Cove moderator please change the link in the first comment of this thread to http://articles.geometrica.com/64.html ?

Cheers,
Pancho
Pancho,

I have modified the link per your request. Please verify and confirm.

Have a great weekend.

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #29  
Old 6th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Pancho

Total Posts: 777

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Stijloor View Post

<snip>Please verify and confirm.</snip>
Right on. Thanks, Stijloor!
  Post Number #30  
Old 6th September 2009, 10:49 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,173

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Panchobook View Post

Right on. Thanks, Stijloor!
Pancho,

You're very welcome..I'm just celebrating Labor Day here..

Stijloor.
  Post Number #31  
Old 4th November 2009, 02:02 PM
Le Chiffre

Total Posts: 241

Here's a good article on customizing MediaWiki:
Quote:
Whether you're co-writing your NaNoWriMo novel, setting up a company intranet, or just want an easy-to-update web site, MediaWiki fits the bill.
http://lifehacker.com/5396832/custom...ative-web-site
  Post Number #32  
Old 10th November 2009, 01:49 AM
vaalea

Total Posts: 11

ok, let me know if this is better for a separate-brand new thread.

Ever since I've found out about Geometrica using a WIKI to implement a QMS and gain their ISO 9001 certification I've been keen on taking the same route. I've been reading Panchobook's posts with great interest. I'd also love to see this business case worked on by harishankarpv.

I know that Panchobook's organization has used ProjectForum, and Le Chiffre MediaWiki and I found this thread elsewhere Wiki recommendations for QMS project documentation and I would basically like to repeat the thread here where I think there is more activity.

The poster on that forum, gregm, had created a list of features he thought were necessary for the project, being:
Quote:
Locally installed, not hosted
Access controls
Ability to edit documents and leave comments
WYSIWYG editing, no code
Good typographical tools
Ability to export to either Word or PDF
Change history (very important for audit trail)
very good range of templates to help me built quickly (I'm not a coder)
Can we create our own list here, and are there more people than just Panchobook and Le Chiffre with their kind of experience?

Those who have used a wiki to post their favorite wiki features/most missed wiki features in the wiki software they chose?

Can we use this information to compile two lists,

Best features for optimal QMS implementation in compliance with ISO 9001
(login-ins/change history/roll backs/alerts of changes through email, ease of use for non-techies, great search feature etc-etc)
Using that to determine which wiki's are recommended

And an additional list with cool features that would be a bonus.
(For example I was wondering about a collaborative calendar that could be filtered... showed WHO made the edits, but allow for categories such as trade shows-travelling, company & dept meetings, various work schedules and vacation days of employees, bdays... allow for RSVPs.. much like outlook, but better. Perhaps considered social networking features...)
Determining from the recommended wikis, which may be the most desirable individually?

I know there are websites out there that do Wiki comparisons, but I'd like to get info from those who have personal experience in relation to building a QMS.

and/or, any comments on Jira by atlassian for such a project if anyone is familiar with it?
one of Panchobook's links Our Intranet, the Wiki: A Case Study of a Wiki Changing an Enterprise. They chose to use Confluence by atlassian...

Are there any more links such as the one's Panchobook has shared (including the Motorola using Twiki one too) that are of other company stories?

Thanks for any help!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates