The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > Aviation, Space and Defense Standards and Requirements > Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Control of Non-Certificated Maintenance Contractors

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
contract services, faa (federal aviation administration), maintenance, faa part 145 (certified repair station), faa repair stations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:02 AM
big rob

Total Posts: 3
Angry Control of Non-Certificated Maintenance Contractors

We are a part 145 repair station, and have been found to have discrepancies in our QCM on Contracted Maintenance,Non Certificated repair stations. How do I remain Directly in charge of the work being performed at the Non certificated shop?

Please help: (

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:19 AM
BadgerMan

Total Posts: 699
Re: Contracted Maintenance

Do you specify quality system requirements for your non-certificated contractors?

Do you specify that your non-certificated contractors maintain a D&A program?

Do you then test and/or inspect the product repaired by non-certificated contractors prior to approving it for return to service?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:30 AM
big rob

Please Help! Re: Contracted Maintenance

1) Yes, we specify Quality System requirements
2) No, we do not specify they maintain a D/A program.
3) Yes, we test and inspect.
  Post Number #4  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:34 AM
BradM

Total Posts: 5,918

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by big rob View Post

We are a part 145 repair station, and have been found to have discrepancies in our QCM on Contracted Maintenance,Non Certificated repair stations. How do I remain Directly in charge of the work being performed at the Non certificated shop?

Please help: (
Hello big rob! Thank you for dropping by the Cove! We're sure glad to have you.

First, I am not that proficient in aviation, so discount it as such. I have worked in the environment before though. I have seen (typically medium size operations) that perform a number of different services on aerospace parts. Usually, they have a portion of their services certified due to it's nature, but the other portions are not. Does that sound like your situation?

Now to your question... I'm not sure I understand. if you are the supervisor; you are the supervisor. Why do you feel a need to distance yourself from the non-certified work? I would think you would be more concerned with creating separation in other ways than supervision.

Not sure my question makes sense. Let me know what you're thinking.
  Post Number #5  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:35 AM
BradM

Total Posts: 5,918

Sorry badgerman, I was putting together my post while you were helping out.

Add edit: I revised the title a bit, so that it might be a little more clear. Let me or any moderator know if it is not suitable.

Last edited by BradM; 25th June 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added line about changing title
  Post Number #6  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:40 AM
BadgerMan

We do specify that non-certificated contractors maintain a D&A program.

The main difference I see is that we test the product and approve for return to service with non certificated sources whereas with certificated contractors, they can approve for return to service.

Was this an audit nonconformance? Can you ask the auditor for clarification?
Thanks to BadgerMan for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 25th June 2009, 10:53 AM
BadgerMan

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BradM View Post

Sorry badgerman, I was putting together my post while you were helping out.

Add edit: I revised the title a bit, so that it might be a little more clear. Let me or any moderator know if it is not suitable.
I changed it again to add further clarification.

The question deals with (sub) contracted maintenance not "maintenance"......…LOL!

When an FAA approved repair station sub-contracts/out sources repair of a product returned from the field because they don’t have the capability, they can use another approved repair station or a non-approved (certificated) source. The two options require different levels of control from a QMS perspective.

Clear as mud, eh?
Thank You to BadgerMan for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 25th June 2009, 11:00 AM
big rob

Thumbs up Re: Control of Non-certificated maintenance contractors

Yes, this was an audit non conformance. The auditor is a fast talker and confuses me sometimes. He is helpful but seams to be one that likes verbage to be specific. We try to use certificated stations as much as possible but sometimes it just can't be done.

Thanks for your help.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > Aviation, Space and Defense Standards and Requirements > Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements