The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

What Flowchart Software Do You Use for Procedures and other Documentation? - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Which is the best flowchart software for QS/ISO documentation.
AllClear 13 5.80%
iGrafx Flowcharter 13 5.80%
ConceptDraw 0 0%
SmartDraw 23 10.27%
Visio (MickeySoft) 134 59.82%
Drawing tools in Office 41 18.30%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
flowcharts, software (general topics), documents and documentation (general), procedures (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 5th December 2001, 07:18 PM
James Gutherson

Total Posts: 155
Thumbs up

I have used both the iGrafx and Visio software for flowcharting,but don't feel happy enough with either of them to actually vote.

As powerfull, versitile diagramming software (flowcharts, org charts, network diagrams, office layouts, network diagrams, etc, they are good and the iGrafx "Process" softwarwe is amazing for analysing the performance of processes and discovering bottlenecks, eg bank teller staffing processes etc.
They are however far more than most people, I feel, need for documenting an ISO/QS system, and that is their weakness. Far to much on offer when you just want a simple job.

My flow charts only use 3 basic shapes, Start (and Stop), a box for a single step, a diamond for a descision point. Anymore I find confuse people and are not necessary.

I want to push a program called 4TQ (I am just a user, not affiliated with them in ANY way).
The flow charting package of 4TQ offers just the basic symbols (a few more than I mentioned but they are just for layout) but it also enables you to produce fully formated Word (or any other WP) documents containing both the chart and any background details you add. It enables you to cross reference the whole flowchart it'self, or individual steps to an ISO/QS clause. It lets you link other flow charts or other documents (Word doc's, spreadsheet, database's, web pages, etc) to steps, and it has an integrated Audit scheduling and checklist production system.

Integrating 4TQFlow with anthoer program 4TQExplorer give you a complete ISO/QS/ISM/etc management system, with full audit scheduleing, crossreferencing, SPC, compliance referencing, and full website production. A screenshot is attached. (Excuse the caution signs indicating an audit is overdue).

Sorry to go on like this but this program has been a Godsend for me and I thought others would like to know (I guess I'm just a "raving fan").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4tqexplorer.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	89  
Thanks to James Gutherson for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 5th December 2001, 08:03 PM
Al Dyer

Total Posts: n/a
Sporty,

Don't sweat the small things, we all have opinions and questions. And neither is wrong! Every participating member of this board is respected for both their questions and answers.

We are a better board for having you here!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #19  
Old 5th December 2001, 11:36 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 25,655
Thumbs up 4TQ Flow Charting Software

> Sorry to go on like this but this program has been a
> Godsend for me and I thought others would like to know

James:

Very good evaluation. The length of your post is irrelevant and the passion is to be expected with respect to something you like. I have not heard of this specific program before, but it is better to know about than not to. Thank you!
  Post Number #20  
Old 7th December 2001, 04:00 PM
choices

Total Posts: 9
Afternoon,

I have AllClear and really don't care for it. My boss uses it. Copying the chart into word is almost impossible. I much prefer Microsoft products.

Guess if I could figure out how to copy and paste and be able to edit it in Word I'd like it more.

Michelle
  Post Number #21  
Old 7th December 2001, 04:39 PM
Al Dyer

Or at no cost for Word users, you can use the flowcharting option included in the program. It's not as powerfull as the other programs but it is good for easy flow charts.
  Post Number #22  
Old 7th December 2001, 07:16 PM
energy

Easy Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by choices
Afternoon,
I have AllClear and really don't care for it. My boss uses it. Copying the chart into word is almost impossible. I much prefer Microsoft products.
Guess if I could figure out how to copy and paste and be able to edit it in Word I'd like it more.
Michelle
Michelle My Bell

I don't know where Adobe falls in but I can go from "Word" to "Visio" to "Adobe" (and any combination),so easy it defies description, except, that is so "easy" I want easy, no brainer stuff! If M.S. allows me to have that, give it here! I don't need to look at other stuff just because it may be popular to be "bashin" M.S. or demonstate my "intellectual"..... Did you vote in the poll? Welcome to the Cove! :smokin

Last edited by energy; 7th December 2001 at 07:27 PM.
  Post Number #23  
Old 7th December 2001, 08:05 PM
Al Dyer

Energy, (and any others!)

Have you ever used just Word to do a flow chart?
  Post Number #24  
Old 8th December 2001, 06:47 AM
JRKH

Total Posts: 972
Flowcharting

Hello Group,

Quote:
Have you ever used just Word to do a flow chart?
I do. Of course I haven't really tried these other programs. Word does a nice job, and it is easy to use (once you've played with it a while).
The other system I am working on is a CAD system (AUTOCAD). I found that I can copy my charts and documents from word to AUTOCAD and then I can enlarge or shrink the docs to create an overview with drilldown capability. Not as nice as some other systems I'm sure, but functional.

I do have a demo version of smart draw on my computer but haven't had much chance to play with it.

James

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions