The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

What Flowchart Software Do You Use for Procedures and other Documentation? - Page 4

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Which is the best flowchart software for QS/ISO documentation.
AllClear 13 5.80%
iGrafx Flowcharter 13 5.80%
ConceptDraw 0 0%
SmartDraw 23 10.27%
Visio (MickeySoft) 134 59.82%
Drawing tools in Office 41 18.30%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
flowcharts, software (general topics), documents and documentation (general), procedures (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 8th December 2001, 10:39 AM
energy

Total Posts: n/a
Yes, Sir!

Al D.

I started out using Word. Others at work were using Visio. When I switched over, basically trying it out, I was very happy with the "features". The snap lines and the smart connector cut down dramatically on the amount of time and the careful positioning of the blocks or other types of symbols I was using . The new version's smart connector will find it's own way around obstacles to hook up to the point you want it to go. It automatically adds jumpers where lines interconnect and provides right angles without you having to do the line-up. By having this feature, you can quickly clean up your mess you were making without waiting for the finished product to "correct" the boo boos. The little PIA "yes" and "no" arrows are a snap compared to "word". I was happy with "Word', but at one time I was also happy without power steering

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 10th December 2001, 05:14 PM
choices

Total Posts: 9
Re: Easy Stuff

Michelle My Bell

Oh my! I haven't heard that in so long. Thanks for the smile.

I usually do my flow charts in Word. Everyone has it and can edit the flow charts. Oh by the way I did (once) in AllClear copy paste to word and then was able to edit it in Word but can't figure out how I did it. <g>

Michelle < Oh Happy Monday!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #27  
Old 10th December 2001, 05:43 PM
Jeff Ida

Total Posts: 3
Thanks to all for the input. To clarify my reasons for not including Visio; I was not impressed with the price @$400 U.S. particularly when MS is planning to move to a rental model as mentioned earlier. Somehow I am disturbed by the idea of a company remotely disabling my software, particularly with UCITA looming over the U.S. (Orwell anyone?) I have also heard from several different sources that Smartdraw performs all the same functions with a price range of U.S. $70-200.

I was drawn to Allclear by the outlining feature where text is converted into a flow, which would seem to save time with formatting and possibly allow some interesting database interaction. Unfortunately the save is disabled in demo so I haven't gotten far enough to see how functional this really is. I also dont see any good way to integrate it other than hyperlinks.

ConceptDraw seems fairly impressive, but nothing really stands out over Smartdraw and it is priced @U.S.$275

Igrafix Flowcharter sounds impressive as it includes VBA which would be great for interacting with Access, Excel etc. however the demo is only available by mail and I have yet to receive it. This one is priced @U.S.$400 (Same as Visio) but it may be worth it if it can really integrate as well as claimed by Igrafix.

My goal here is to have most level 2 & 3 documentation in flow chart form. I would like to be able to flowdown from level 1 by clicking on any referenced sequrence or document into level 2 or 3. And from level 2 or 3 into the level 4 forms which are mostly Excel.

I am also in the process of converting much Excel stuff into Access with the goal of having a central repository for data rather than 8 zillion different files. Maybe someday we will even have a paperless system for inspection records & SPC . So any program that works well with Access would already be a step ahead.

Sorry to be so long-winded but hopefully I clarified what I am looking for.
  Post Number #28  
Old 10th December 2001, 06:37 PM
Al Dyer

Total Posts: n/a
Jeff,

Do you mean we were talking about all this for the sum of $500.00? Geez, you must have a cheap boss.

I guess we have to look at the big picture and find out what works for our particular positions and systems.

I prefer a total package in my position and many more just want a stand alone system for flow charts. My opinion is that if you are using flow charts that are not part of a larger quality system that Word would serve the purpose.

Nobody says we have to upgrade to XP and fill MS pockets. Use the tools at hand until something better comes along. I work with companies that still use W95!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Post Number #29  
Old 10th December 2001, 07:30 PM
Laura M

Total Posts: 762
I used Word and found it to be a PIA when I wanted to include text, separate from the flow chart, or when it was multiple pages. I didn't play too much (Help - usually didn't) so I use Visio for the clients that have it - onsite, and Word for those who don't. I haven't tried the rest, but appreciate the poll, because it will give me some good direction if I need to suggest a package to someone. thanks
  Post Number #30  
Old 10th December 2001, 07:50 PM
JRKH

Total Posts: 972
Quote:
I used Word and found it to be a PIA when I wanted to include text, separate from the flow chart, or when it was multiple pages
Laura,

I found the best way to include the text you want seperate from the flow chart is to open a text box, type in your text then format the box with transparent lines. This works well and you can move the text around if you need to change the flowchart.

James
  Post Number #31  
Old 10th December 2001, 09:20 PM
Jeff Ida

Total Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Dyer
Jeff,
Do you mean we were talking about all this for the sum of $500.00? Geez, you must have a cheap boss.
We are a very small company, <30 people running 2 shifts 7 days. Management = 3 people (and thats counting me ). Our largest customer got a job for a B3 and we're caught in the sub-contractor crossfire. They want QS9000 but they wont pay.
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Dyer
Jeff,
Nobody says we have to upgrade to XP and fill MS pockets. Use the tools at hand until something better comes along. I work with companies that still use W95!
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with that. We run Win98 & Office97 with no plans to upgrade (at least until Linux becomes a more viable solution for the desktop).
But if software can save me 20 hours of work and costs less than paying me for 20 hours, it seems worthwhile to me.

Last edited by Jeff Ida; 11th December 2001 at 12:57 PM.
  Post Number #32  
Old 11th December 2001, 08:53 AM
Laura M

Total Posts: 762
Thanks, JRKH - I don't remember if I tried text boxes. That may have solved it. HOw about multiple pages tho.? From what I recall, you can't use regular "page break" functions. You can't just do a Flowchart and have it figure out where to put pages.

But I agree - for a company that doesn't need to spend the $ - and for small companies, that's usually the way, then it does a fine job. Marc's always recommended Powerpoint too, which most places have.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions