The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place? - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
inspection (general), employees (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 21st April 2011, 08:16 AM
J0anne

Total Posts: 437
Re: How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ignatiuswong View Post

Dear Cove,

it's been a long time ago since my last post.
i need your help to share me some of your organization experiences.

around last year i've got a lot of claim from customer,
after then i just doing some improvement --> Man, Machine, Method, Material and else.

but i just know that all improvements that i do is useless..
claim increased. and now i realized the problem is Behaviour.

now what i do is just doing some 100% check before delivery / shipment to customer, and guess what i've got ?
i still found some NC parts.

and the thing that shocked me was the production operator told me that the man that i instructed to do 100% inspection check sabotaged this NC.

my question is how operator have that kind perception.

around 2 month ago, all operator just been trained about how to change behaviour - seminar, but until now not seen any improvement.

what do you think cove ?

Regards
I would say that behaviour is not the problem & I'm with Harry, you need to do an RCA. A lot issues of this nature are due to the operator not having a proper understanding, which could be caused by poor communication.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 21st April 2011, 09:04 AM
sagai

Total Posts: 1,094

yelling is fine for me, only I shall ensure I am the one doing it only.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 21st April 2011, 09:34 AM
Ka Pilo

Total Posts: 609

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ignatiuswong View Post

around 2 month ago, all operator just been trained about how to change behaviour - seminar, but until now not seen any improvement.

what do you think cove ?
Don't change their behavior, change their belief.
Thanks to Ka Pilo for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 21st April 2011, 11:10 AM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 5,992

Such good responses so far. Let us summarize:

In order to address behavior as the cause, other causes should FIRST be resolved or ruled out.

While resolving other causes: material, machine, environment - one may find behavior alters because people are very often care, yet are frustrated by constraints to their performance.

Materials and machinery (which includes process design) are fairly straightforward. However, optimizing a process requires expectations to match reality. Designing an effective inspection process is very important. It requires accomodation of natural human limits in order to "catch" nonconformances reliably.

Environment is a bit more challenging because it is both physical environment (which is addressed with infrastructure) and cultural environment (which is addressed with changing how the organization's people treat each other). Optimizing employee behavior includes many factors, beginning with the selection and assignment process; there is no end, truthfully.

Until I hear more details I dare not venture further into the subject of human performance as it would be specifically applied to you. I can, however direct you to a paper I wrote titled When Employees Don't Follow Procedures. Its purpose is to highlight some of the factors to consider when managing people and their performance.

Now I will address training, which I noticed you have done right away but I save for last. Why would I save training for last? I want the training to accurately reflect the process after all of its improvements are complete. I want to give the process users a chance to experience the release of material, machine and environment constraints before saying, "Now see here, this is the way I want you to perform."

Until all of this is completed you will need to have a very good containment system to ensure flawed product does not reach the customer.

I hope this helps!
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #13  
Old 4th May 2011, 09:37 AM
tekno9000

Total Posts: 69

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AgnieszkaSz View Post

I also recall a very brutal idea in a similar case - we intended to introduce a Burn-All test for some sub-component (when assembled OK, the product would be intact), with threat to charge the operator with the cost of scrapped material. Mind you, it was only an idea, was never implemented, but even this has helped.
Isn't any Poka-Yoke possible?
Just stumbled upon this........ While you have clarified that this was just a threat and not implemented, this could be an invitation to a major disaster in countries (like US) where labor boards monitor things like this.

Just a heads up.
  Post Number #14  
Old 4th May 2011, 01:38 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,071

I've always had a much more holistic approach to issues where folks point fingers at individuals.

It often pays to go back to basics in exploring a root cause before leaping to a conclusion.
  1. What is the actual N/C? (Is is the same N/C every time or are there a variety of N/C events which aggregate a large number?)
  2. Can the N/C occur when ANY operator is working or only a specific operator?
  3. Does the N/C occur on only a specific customer's products or does it crop up else where?
  4. If the N/C crops up elsewhere, is there anything common in the events?
  5. Working through the facts, can you narrow the cause to process, machine, or operator?
  6. If operator, can you temporarily change operators to confirm it is, indeed, the operator?
  7. If the machine, what, specifically, is happening? (We once spent two weeks on a suspect machine to learn overspray from cutting fluid was interfering with a sensor - solution to problem was wrapping a connection with waterproof electrician's tape. However, during the two weeks, some tempers flared and wild accusations levied - it took another two weeks for everyone involved to make nice with apologies and get back to normal.)
Once the REAL root cause is found, then, and only then, can a solution be implemented. It is important to set up an evaluation schedule to ensure the solution continues to work and was, indeed, THE solution.

Process-related root causes are often ameliorated by some mistake proofing efforts.

Machine-related root causes can have simple, inexpensive solutions (electrician's tape!) or range up to deciding it is the wrong machine for the job and a different machine (process?) substituted.

People-related root causes are most frequently a result of misunderstanding, and only very rarely the result of deliberate tampering (sabotage.) If the problem is narrowed down to a specific operator, often a simple question (without threats!) may result in a quick fix:
"Well, Joe, we've narrowed this down to happening only on your shift. What do you think is causing it? How can you help us find a way to prevent it?"

The theory here, proposed by a number of industrial psychologists, is that bringing the employee in as part of the team looking for a solution is much more cost-effective than firing the employee based on a suspicion and starting over with a new, untried one because you may discover the problem is simply a result of misunderstanding, not incompetence or malice.
Thank You to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #15  
Old 5th May 2011, 08:27 AM
tamale

Total Posts: 158

First time I hear of a «holistic» approach. I really like it. Great post Wes.

Tamale
  Post Number #16  
Old 6th May 2011, 08:07 AM
Celtic Warrior

Total Posts: 42

I absolutely agree with Wes, excellent post.

In the very rare cases of sabotage that I have experienced ( 2 only) the motive was so strong for the individual that the risk of isolating themselves from any group cover was put aside.

The behavior in both cases was a one off act in response to a specific event.

Analysis of the RC established process deficiencies and leadership concerns that led to the sabotage in both cases.

In one case following some significant changes to process and leadership and some help for the individual, the person was re-instated and still works with the company today.

Therefore I would completely agree with looking again at the cultural, and other direct leadership issues, also examine the robustness of the process that allows the operators that interact with it to adjust the output without consequence.

People require reasons to do things, motive is part of all of our make up.

It is very difficult to understand that an operator deliberately sabotages products that would ultimately lead to his or company's loss.
Thanks to Celtic Warrior for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering