The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Healthcare Time and Motion Study

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Related Topic Tags
healthcare company or industry, time study and/or motion study

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 31st August 2011, 11:43 PM
stryker09

Total Posts: 13
Please Help! Healthcare Time and Motion Study

Does anyone have a spreadsheet/template/forms or sample for doing a Time and Motion Study for a healthcare facility. Sorry, I just don't know where we are to start. Seems easier in the processing industry. Thanks a lot......

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 1st September 2011, 03:56 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,146
Re: Healthcare Time and Motion Study

Can someone with this expertise help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 1st September 2011, 07:59 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,171

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by stryker09 View Post

Does anyone have a spreadsheet/template/forms or sample for doing a Time and Motion Study for a healthcare facility. Sorry, I just don't know where we are to start. Seems easier in the processing industry. Thanks a lot......
Check out THIS thread and the attachments in them to see if you can modify them for your use ...
  Post Number #4  
Old 1st September 2011, 08:49 PM
stryker09

Seems good but I don't think I could adapt it for use in a healthcare facility. Any more suggestions?
  Post Number #5  
Old 1st September 2011, 10:41 PM
kgott

Total Posts: 1,027

I thought that concept dies out years ago. Why not start with a process flowchart, that should reveal good and useful information?
  Post Number #6  
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:14 AM
stryker09

It seems to be difficult to do it for a healthcare facility....Looks like there seems to be more unproductive time on an 8-hour shift....
  Post Number #7  
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:33 AM
kgott

Total Posts: 1,027

Quote:

It seems to be difficult to do it for a healthcare facility....Looks like there seems to be more unproductive time on an 8-hour shift....

I might be getting off topic a little here but it seems that any waste cutting exercise is always focused on the bottom end of an organisation.

Is this a symptom of a lack of management skill to achieve increased efficiencies using other means such as TQM and 6 sigma or is using these methods just too much hard work for management?

Either way, to my way of thinking it raises doubt about the commitment of management and industry generally, to concepts such as quality management, TQM, 6 sigma etc or, have I got the wrong idea altogether?
  Post Number #8  
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:29 AM
harry

Total Posts: 6,280

Quote:

Welcome back Stryker,

If my guess is right, I don't think you are dealing with standard processes such as those in production but one in which every patient is different and therefore need different processes and time. Can a time and motion study be helpful in such a situation?

I think the problem is more in the 'flow'. Perhaps value stream mapping would be more appropriate. I hope the experts in this area will throw some light into it.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers