The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Healthcare Time and Motion Study - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Related Topic Tags
healthcare company or industry, time study and/or motion study

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:20 PM
stryker09

Total Posts: 13
Re: Healthcare Time and Motion Study

Thanks for the suggestion Harry any other suggestions....Here's a one situational, it's not daily we have a surgical operation or a patient in the ICU but still we've got to pay staff to go on duty 24/7.

Also, has anyone made a study for a healthcare facility? Seems I would agree with the great guru P. Drucker when he said "I'd rather manage a hotel than a hospital"...I hope I quoted him right. Again friends I'm still waiting for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 21st October 2011, 03:25 PM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 2,961

Having been in the Healthcare field for all of 5 days now, I am probably not qualified to answer, but I'll do my best based on what I've seen. Background is that I'm part of the Operations Improvement team - we focus on both the frontline (clinical) operations as well as business operations.

My first week has been spent doing a lot of orientation meetings and reading of process maps. The good part is that most people are telling me the same gaps/opportunities. The bad part is that no one can point me towards the plan(s) to address these gaps/opportunities or the status of actions (if any).

The process maps we have cover a range of activities from strategic planning to client care (on-going service delivery). While 'times' are not included with the client visits, the scheduling system is referenced. What I don't think exists is a comparison of planned visit time to actual visit time or planned visit tasks to actual visit tasks. Sadly, even if such data did exist, everyone would be questioning the validity of the data.

Still, the process maps have been a good place for me to start when it comes to identifying some issues that need to be addressed.

What I have learned in these past 5 days is that every process is documented - some better than others - but that the collection, retention, and dissemination of data and information is suspect...and that's probably going to impact your ability to successfully conduct a time and motion study.
Thanks to RoxaneB for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:01 AM
Coverrace

Total Posts: 2

In this article, the authors examine a time and motion study designed to at 36 hospital medical-surgical units within 17 healthcare systems and 15 states.
  Post Number #12  
Old 14th March 2015, 09:16 AM
Ettore

Total Posts: 313

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCBeyette View Post

Having been in the Healthcare field for all of 5 days now.
Really? Keep in contact Roxanne.
Prevention. Prevention. Prevention.
Quote:

planning to client care (on-going service delivery).
How many people would be willing to pay for to be advice from a Doctor if the trend of a control chart like this is to go over to the upper limit or more?
SPC For Healtcare

Quote:

While 'times' are not included with the client visits, the scheduling system is referenced.
Attached here just a little bit of ref. about a new approce during the clients visits

7 Rorty R, The linguistic Turn, Chicago, University of Chicago Press 1967 (trad. it. La svolta linguistica, Milano Garzanti 1983).

8 Bruner Jerome S., Acts of meaning, , Harvard University Press, Cambridge 1990 (trad. it. ?La ricerca del significato?, Torino, Bollati Boringhieri, 1992).

9 Mitchell W.J. On Narrative. Chicago,University of Chicago Press, 1981.
10 Yamada S., Maskarinec G. Authentic problem-based learning, instrumental rationality, and narrative. Asia Pacific Family Medicine 2003; 226-

11 Kleiman A. The illness narratives: Suffering, healing, and the human condition. New York: Basic Book, 1988.

12 Good B.J., Medicine, Rationality and Experience an Anthropological Perspective Cambridge University Press Cambridge 1995 (trad. it Narrare la malattia, Edizioni di Comunit?, Torino, 1999).

13 Hunter K.M. Doctor?s stories. The narrative structure of medical Knowledge. Princeton NJ: Princeton University Press, 1991.

14 Greenhalgh T. e Hurwitz B. Narrative based medicine: Why study narrative? BMJ 1999 318 (7175): 48-50.

15 Charon R. The patient-physician relationship. Narrative medicine: a model for empathy, reflectio, profession, and trust. JAMA 2001; 286 (15): 1897-902.

16 Charon R. What to do with stories: the Sciences of Narrative Medicine. Can Fam Physician 2007; 53(8):1265-67.

17 Charon R. Narrative Medicine: honoring the stories of illness, Oxford University Press, New York: 2006.

18 Sackett D.L, Rosenberg W.M, Gray J.A, Haynes R.B, Richardson W.S. Evidence based medicine what it is and what it isn?t. BMJ 1996; 312 (7023):

19 Greenhalgh T. ?How to read a paper. The basic of evidence based medicine?. London: BMJ Publishing Group 1997.

20 Kalitzkus V. e Matthiessen P. Narrative-Based Medicine: Potential, Pitfalls, and Practice Perm J 2009; 13(1): 80-86.

23 Hillman J. Healing fiction. Spring publications, Dallas 1984 (trad. it Le storie che curano Milano Raffaello Cortina Editore 1984).

24 Polkinghorne. Narrative Knowing and the Human Sciences, State University of New York Press, Albany 1988, p. 150.

25 Ambady N, Laplante D, Nguyen T, Rosenthal R, Chaumeton N, Levinson W. Surgeons' tone of voice: a clue to malpractice history. Surgery. 2002;132(1): 5-9.

26 Yamada S., Maskarinec G. Authentic problem-based learning, instrumental rationality, and narrative. Asia Pacific Family Medicine 2003; 226-28.

27 Haidet P. e Paterniti DA. Building? a history rather than ?taking? one: a perspective on information sharing during the medical interview: Arch Intern Med. 2003: 163 (10): 1134-40.

28 Elwyn G. e Gwyn R. Narrative based medicine: stories we hear and stories we tell: analysing talk in clinical practice. BMJ. 1999; 318(7177): 186-88.
29 Clark J. The narrative in patient-centred care. Br J Gen Pract, 2008; 58(557): 896.

30 Greenhalgh T Narrative based medicine. Narrative based medicine in an evidence based word. BMJ 1999; 318 (7179): 323-25.

31 Launer J. Narrative based medicine: a narrative approach to mental health in general practice. BMJ. 1999; 318(7176): 117-9.

32 Epstein cit. da Haidet P. e Paterniti D.A. Building? a history rather than ?taking? one: a perspective on information sharing during the medical interview: Arch Intern Med. 2003: 163 (10): 1134-40.

33 Masini V. Medicina narrativa, comunicazione empatica e interazione dinamica nella relazione medico-paziente. Franco Angeli, Milano 2005.

34 Eggly S. Physician-patient co-construction of illness narratives in the medical interview. Healt Commun. 2002; 14(3): 339-60.

35 Vickers C. H, Goble R, e Lindfelt C. Narrative Co-Construction in the Medical Consultation: How Agency and Control Affect the Diagnosis. Commun Med. 2012; 9(2): 159?171.

36 Hurwitz B. Narrative and the practice of medicine. Lancet 2000; 356: 2086-89.

37 Greenhalgh T. e Hurwitz B. Narrative based medicine: Why study narrative? BMJ 1999 318 (7175): 48-50.

39 Iori V. Il sapere dei sentimenti nelle professioni di cura. da La comunicazione che cura. Atti del Convegno Universit? Cattolica di Piacenza -2009.

40 Nettleton S, Watt I, O'Malley L, Duffey P. Understanding the narratives of people who live with medically unexplained llness. Patient Educ Couns 2005; 56(2) 205-10.

41 Clarke A, Anthony G, Gray D, Jones D, McNamee P, Schofield P, Smith B.H., Martin D.I feel so stupid because I can?t give a proper answer. . . How older adults describe chronic pain: a qualitative study BMC Geriatrics 2012 12:78.

42 Trane R. Differenze di genere nella malattia di Parkinson: approccio narrativo in ambito delle Commissioni Mediche Geriatriche per la valutazione della disabilit? presso l?Azienda USL di Bologna. Italian Journal of Legal Medicine dec 2013.

43 Kim H.S, Bigman C.A. Leader A. E., Lerman C, e Cappella J. N. Narrative Health Communication and Behavior Change: The Influence of Exemplars in the News on Intention to Quit Smoking. J Commun. 2012; 62(3): 473?92.
44 Moran M B, Murphy S T. , Frank L. e Baezconbe-Garbanati L. The Ability of Narrative Communication to Address Healthrelated Social Norms. Int Rev Soc Res. 2013; 3(2): 131-49.

45 Bekker H.L, Winterbottom A.E, Butow P, Dillard A.J, Feldman-Stewart D, Fowler F.J, Jibaja-Weiss M.L , Shaffer V.A, Volk R.J Do personal stories make patient decision aids more effective? A critical review of theory and evidence BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2013, 13(Suppl 2):S9 .

46 Stamatakis K.A., McBride T.D, e Brownson R.C Communicating Prevention Messages to Policy Makers: The Role of Stories in Promoting Physical ActivityJ Phys Act Health. 2010; 7(01): S99?107.

47 Shaffer V.A, Owens J, e Zikmund-Fisher B. The Effect of Patient Narratives on Information Search in a Web-Based Breast Cancer Decision Aid: An Eye-Tracking Study J Med Internet Res 2013;15(12): e273.

48 Cueva M, Kuhnley R., Revels L , Cueva K, Dignan M e Lanier A Bridging storytelling traditions with digital technology. Int J Circumpolar Health 2013, 72: 20717.

49 Iredale R, Mundy L. e Hilgart J, An Online Resource of Digital Stories About Cancer Genetics: Qualitative Study of Patient Preferences and Information Needs. J Med Internet Res. 2011; 13(3): e78.

50 Kreuter M. W., Holmes K, Alcaraz K, Kalesan B, Rath S, Richert M, McQueen A, Caito N, Robinson L, Clark M. Comparing narrative and American women Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 81(Suppl): S6?14.

51 Bollinger S. e Kreuter M. W. Real-time moment-to-moment emotional responses to narrative and informational breast cancer videos in African American women. Health Educ Res 2012, 27 (3): 537-543.

52 McQueen A,. Kreuter M W, Kalesan B, e Alcaraz K. I. Understanding Narrative Effects: The Impact of Breast Cancer Survivor Stories on Message Processing, Attitudes, and Beliefs among African American Women. Health Psychol. 2011; 30(6): 674?682.

53 Dillard AJ, Fagerlin A, Dal Cin S, Zikmund-Fisher BJ, e Ubel PA Narratives that Address Affective Forecasting Errors Reduce Perceived Barriers to Colorectal Cancer Screening Soc Sci Med. 2010; 71(1): 45?52.

54 Egnew T., Suffering, Meaning, and Healing: Challenges of Contemporary Medicine, Ann Fam Med 2009; 7 (2): 170-75.

55 White M., Epston D. Narrative Means to Therapeutic Ends. Norton & Company, New York 1990 (trad. it. White M., La terapia come narrazione, Roma, Astrolabio, 1992).

56 Bert G Punti di vista, aspetti pragmatici della narrazione. Medicina Narrativa N.1 (2011) http:// www.medicinanarrativa.it.

57 Zang Y, Hunt N. and Cox T. A randomised controlled pilot study: the effectiveness of narrative exposure therapy with adult survivors of the Sichuan earthquake. BMC Psychiatry 2013, 13:41.

58 Gwozdziewycz N., Mehl-Madrona L. Meta-Analysis of the Use of Narrative Exposure Therapy for the Effects of Trauma Among Refugee Populations. Perm J 2013, 17(1):70-76.

59 Shapiro J. e Ross V. Applications of Narrative Theory and Therapy to the Practice of Family Medicine. Fam Med 2002; 34(2): 96-100.

60 Nobutaro B. Continuing care of chronic illness: Evidence-based medicine and narrative-based medicine as competencies for patient-centered care. Asia Pacific Family Medicine 2003; 2(2): 74-76.

61 Dysvik E., Natvig G.K, Furnes B, A narrative approach to explore grief experiences and treatment adherence in people with chronic pain after participation in a pain-management program: a 6-year follow-up study. Patient Prefer Adherence 2013; 7: 751?59.

62 Meldrum M.L, Tsao J. C.I, e Zeltzer L.K, I can't be what I want to be: Children's Narratives of Chronic Pain Experiences and Treatment Outcomes. Pain Med. 2009; 10(6): 1018? 34.

63 Frank, Arthur W The wounded storyteller: body, illness, and ethics Chicago: The University of Chicago Press 1995.

64 Jordens C. F.C., Little M, Paul K, Sayers E.J; Life disruption and generic complexity: a social linguistic analysis of narratives of cancer illness. Soc Sci Med 2001; 53(9): 1227-36.

65 Facioli A.M, Amorim F.F e de Almeida K.J A Model for Humanization in Critical Care Perm J 2012Fall; 16(4): 75-77.

66 Mj?lstad B.P., Kirkengen A.L. Getz L. e Hetlevik I.: Standardization meets stories: Contrasting perspectives on the needs of frail individuals at a rehabilitation unit. Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being 2013: 8, 21498.

67 Jung C. G., Erinnerungen,Traume, Gedanken von C. G. Jung (1961-1963); (trad. it Sogni, ricordi, riflessioni di C. G. Jung, a cura di A. Jaff?, Rizzoli, Milano, 1978.

68 Mann T. Der Zauberberg. Berlino: S. Fischer Verlag, 1924. (trad. it. La montagna incantata, Milano: Mondadori, 1965).
69 Hellman A.P. Narrative and illness: the death of doctor?s friend. Med J Aust 2005; 182(1): 9-11.

70 Napolitano Valditara L.M. Narrazione e filosofia:quanto la Medicina Narrativa aiuta il paziente e il curante? da Leggiamoci con cura. Scrittura e narrazione di s? in medicina III edizione Atti del convegno 24 -10- 2013 Aviano.

71 Scheingold L. Balint work in England: lessons for American family medicine J Fam Pract. 1988; 26(3): 315-20.

72 Boudreau J.D, Liben S, Fuks A. A faculty development workshop innarrative-based reflective writing. Perspect Med Educ (2012)1:143?154.

73 Engblom M., Alexanderson K, e Rudebeck C. E. Physicians? messages in problematic sickness certification: a narrative analysis of case reports. BMC Family Practice 2011, 12:18.

74 Charon R. Narrative medicine in the international education of physicians Presse Med. 2013; 42(1): 3?5.

75 Peterkin A, Roberts M., Kavanagh L., Havey T. Narrative means to professional ends new strategies for teaching Canmeds roles in Canadian medical schools. Can Fam Physician 2012; 58(10): e563-9.

76 Catallozzi M. Esperienze di Medicina Narrativa alla Facolt? di Medicina della Columbia University (NY). L?utilizzo di un portfolio di scrittura riflessiva. tratto da Leggiamoci con cura. Scrittura e narrazione di s? in medicina. III edizione Atti del convegno 24 -10- 2013 Aviano.

77 Karkabi K, Wald H.S., Castel C.O. The use of abstract paintings and narratives to foster reflective capacity in medical educators: a multinational faculty development workshop. Med Humanit 2014;40:44?48.

78 Arntfielda S. L, Slesarb K, Dicksonc J, and Charon R. Narrative medicine as a means of training medical students toward residenc competencies Patient Educ Couns. 2013; 91(3): 280?286.

79 Maoz cit. da Divinsky M. Stories for life. Can Fam Physician 2007; 53(2): 203-5.
  Post Number #13  
Old 17th March 2015, 08:32 AM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 2,961

Ettore, please note that my post was made back in 2011. Still in healthcare, however, and with the same company.
  Post Number #14  
Old 17th March 2015, 11:48 AM
Steve Prevette

Total Posts: 2,505

There is a book I think you'd find helpful - "Quality Improvement - Practical Applications for Medical Group Practices" by Davis Ballestracci. I don't know if ASQ still sells the book, but you could probably find on Amazon.
Thanks to Steve Prevette for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers