The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Consultants and Consulting
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Consultant Fees - What is a Consultant Worth?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
consultants and consulting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 26th September 2002, 09:57 AM
db

Total Posts: 2,590
Consultant Fees

There are many sources out there that provide data on what quality folks make. But how much do you think a quality consultant is worth? That is, if you had to pay a consultant to help you, what would it be worth to you? I know what I charge, but what am I worth?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 26th September 2002, 12:16 PM
Ken K

Total Posts: 410
Personally, I wish I could have talked my boss into hiring a consultant to get us prepared for ISO17025. Considering the help we've gotten from our assigned auditor for the price we've paid, any consultant would have been a bargain.

But with our company closely watching where every penny goes, it was decided we would go it alone. Gonna bite us but that's life.

Now, if the Cove didn't exist..............

Just curious Dave. Are customers busting down your door looking for your expertise or has traffic slowed?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 26th September 2002, 12:51 PM
energy

Total Posts: n/a
Re: Consultant Fees

Quote:
db said:

There are many sources out there that provide data on what quality folks make. But how much do you think a quality consultant is worth? That is, if you had to pay a consultant to help you, what would it be worth to you? I know what I charge, but what am I worth?
I don't know what you're worth. In Jan 2001, we contracted a consultant to assist with ISO9001:2000. That included apprx 11 visits, once a month until completion. We would complete assignments at that pace and be ready for a registrar in a year. Knowing full well that companies find it difficult to maintain this ambitious schedule, the consultant's terms were:

$1500 down
$4K each month for 3 months
Plus out of pocket travel expenses, billed at the end of each month.

Now, if the company decides to prolong the effort due to lack of resources or Commitment, he is paid up in three months and waits for you to call him again. If I were a consultant, I would insist on as much payment I could get up front as proof that the company is serious about this endeavor. Why would any company sign up for that and not follow through? Just ask me!
  Post Number #4  
Old 26th September 2002, 01:25 PM
db

Quote:
Just curious Dave. Are customers busting down your door looking for your expertise or has traffic slowed?
Interesting question Ken, there has been an increase in interest. My question, however was not to get a feel as to what I should be charging to get more clients.

I would like a new motorcycle, but thought of paying more for a new bike than I did for my car has kept me from making the deal. I might be able to charge a billion dollars for my services and still do a good business. But in the eyes of the customer, what am I worth? Sometimes we buy stuff cuz we hafta, not because we think they are worth it.
  Post Number #5  
Old 26th September 2002, 04:01 PM
HFowler

Total Posts: 134
db,

In our area, daily rates seem to run $500 - $1,500 typically, depending on the specialty of experience. For instance, if I want someone that specializes in the software development industry, I'm going to have to pay more than I would for someone with a general manufacturing background.

I prefer to hire consultants at a half day rate. Rarely does anyone in our company have a whole day that they can spend with a consultant. So a half day a week or twice a week works better. You get a half day of instruction and then you can go back to your regular day-to-day duties and work on whatever assignment the consultant left you with in your free time before he returns.

Hank
  Post Number #6  
Old 27th September 2002, 01:40 PM
Ravi Khare

Total Posts: 70
Do I remember an ageold quote say:

"Each one of us gets paid exactly what he is worth. Not a penny less, not a penny more"

Post Number #7  
Old 27th September 2002, 02:30 PM
Carl Exter

Total Posts: 37
Ah the age old quote probably doesn't account for labor contracts and/or managements' refusal to negotiate a new agreement after the expiration of the contract, keeping employees working under the previous agreement for 3+ years after it expired because they have a lot more money and a lot more lawyers than the union does and the union has a no-strike policy.

[Deep breath]. But that's not really about consulting. Sorry. Carry on.
  Post Number #8  
Old 27th September 2002, 02:37 PM
db

Get it off your chest

Feel better now, Carl?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Consultants and Consulting