The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Consultants and Consulting
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Consultant Fees - What is a Consultant Worth? - Page 4

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
consultants and consulting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 5th March 2004, 01:34 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,043
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by howste

This thread brings to mind one of my favorite quotes:

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, try hiring an amateur first"
- Red Adair
Exactly! One of those quotes that doesn't need explanation, except maybe to say that Red Adair is a professional famous for putting out oil and gas well fires.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 5th March 2004, 05:49 PM
Sam

Total Posts: 1,444
Unfortunately the "worth" of a consultant/professional can only be determined after they have completed the task.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #27  
Old 8th March 2004, 09:23 AM
db

Total Posts: 2,590
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sam

Unfortunately the "worth" of a consultant/professional can only be determined after they have completed the task.
The same holds true for the "cost" of a consultant/professional.
  Post Number #28  
Old 3rd June 2004, 01:50 PM
ian_former

Total Posts: 1
Cost vs. Value

I work as a consultant, my current customer had a "Quality Systems" consultant here for 2 months prior to my assignment they paid 650.00 a day (8 hrs) I charge per hour for time worked 55.87 an hour for this site. what I have found is that many "Quality" consultants are selling a bill of goods they are unable to deliver. The guy who was here prior to me said that the management was at fault for his inability to complete the 94-00 upgrade. I have been here 30 days and we are past our desk audit and ready for our first survaliance audit.

I think the bottom line is what you get for what you pay. This like most of my other customers found me via word of mouth I do not advertise nor do I "work" the industry so I use my past jobs to show what I can do for my new customers.

just my 2cents

ian
  Post Number #29  
Old 3rd June 2004, 02:23 PM
Steve Prevette

Total Posts: 2,513
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ian_former

I think the bottom line is what you get for what you pay. This like most of my other customers found me via word of mouth I do not advertise nor do I "work" the industry so I use my past jobs to show what I can do for my new customers.

ian
I have a full time job, but it does leave sufficient time for a little outside consulting. I have done a variety of small tasks (primarily Excel data analysis, especially worker survey data) at $60/hour. Mostly people find me by stumbling across my various ramblings and postings around the internet. I had an executive at a bank in New Jersey read my page on how to analyze survey data, and then he called me and asked if I would analyze his annual employee surveys. Done it 3 years in a row now, only took 2 hours each year. A good deal for him, and a good use of 2 hours on the weekend for me. Those sort of things.

- Steve
  Post Number #30  
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:06 PM
Govind

Total Posts: 557
Here in Ontario, the rate for reputed QMS consultants are approx. CDN$750/day (7~ 8 hours). TL9000 consultants are paid at least 50% more! I would suggest organizations negotiate “cost for the project” with the consultant rather than paying hourly.

I have not heard of any penalty clause or bonus clause for dragging the project or finishing early in Quality Management arena. If the project is delayed due to lack of planning from the consultant side (which is difficult to prove) then penalty should be paid by the consultant. On the other hand, bonus clause will offer an advantage in the next bid for finishing the current project early and within the budgeted cost.

Sounds fair?
Govind.
  Post Number #31  
Old 27th July 2004, 01:57 PM
AllanJ

Total Posts: 309
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Atul Khandekar

What about training business? My observation here is that even though consulting business is in low gear, there is a good market / money for focused training programs on topics such as FMEA, SPC, GD&T, MSA etc.

Also, do we have any Six Sigma Consultants on board? What's the scene like in 6S Consulting?
The quality business regularly undergoes an age old process sometimes called" putting old wine in new bottles." Six sigma has received a lot of publicity but its core concepts and tools are well-established.

When working at GE in the mid 1970s, for a few years, I deployed them according to the situation confronting me. Jack Welch who as a high profile CEO succeeded in getting top executive attention to the "Six sigma" idea was then in charge of another division (Plastics). But, there was no regular and effective cross fertilization between GE divisions back then.

"6S" consulting requires a consummate understanding of many business tools. The risk is that it will eventually fall into disrepute as the unscrupulous, the inexperienced, the "get rich quick" crowd rush to what they perceive as a Yukon. We have had it before in Q Programs, Q Circles, Management Audits, Benchmarking, Reengineering etc. Then everyone awaits a new bottle and it starts all over again.

Yawn!

But, yes, there are certainly 6S people in the Cove - but they are probably honestly labelled: Business Improvement Consultants. Good ones know all of the 6S tools peddled by various consultancies - especially the well known ones who always seem to be able to instantly offer courses on whatever is the new "buzz" or "bottle" - and a lot more besides.
  Post Number #32  
Old 6th May 2005, 03:01 AM
RudeDog

Total Posts: 1
I notice that there is a wide range of pricing out there. Since my company is still new, I am going by word of mouth, and my pricing is based on results, not hours. My partner and I are hard workers, and we get the job done.

Interestin that our first customer when he was "negotiating" the contract, whipped out a flyer that was faxed to him, and it undercut us by a bit. But, it was apparent that they only provided a prepackaged, general QMS Manual, and forms, and it wasnt tailored to the company's needs. When I showed him that, he decided to go with us.

I think a consultant is worth what his track record proves, and the word of mouth his work generates.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Consultants and Consulting