The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Nonconformances and Defects - Operator Error, System Error, or both? - Page 17

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: In the event of a NC or defect, what/who is at fault?
"The system" is always at fault. 31 15.35%
"The system" is at fault ~ 90-96% of the time. 66 32.67%
"The system ~ 80%", operator ~ 20%. 66 32.67%
It's about even. 39 19.31%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
nonconformance, operator error, defects and defectives, system errors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #129  
Old 30th June 2011, 03:56 PM
optomist1

Total Posts: 337
Re: Nonconformances and Defects - Operator Error, System Error, or both?

My two - cents, a factoid;

As I recall, long ago in a far away land, an industrious I.E. performed a test or series of tests involving inspectors or operators and how effective they were at catching defects.

As I recall the factoid - on their "best days", an inspector or operator would catch 80% of the defects in their work flow.

Regards,
Marty

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #130  
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:14 PM
mogobadip

Total Posts: 5

I read an article that informed about an error occurring at a phase that the operator managed, and that phase is independent of operator's input e.g. Printer, machine, general equipment, computer, etc. anything else was said to be a mistake. This means that system errors are different from operator faults/mistakes.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #131  
Old 5th May 2017, 03:11 AM
charanjit singh

Total Posts: 105

Talking about operator (and also inspector) errors, many years ago it was estimated after a number of experiments, that 100% visual inspection is effective only between 80 - 90% on the average.

Years ago, in my lecture classes, I used try out a game to see how far this was true.I would distribute a copy of a small paragraph to each participant, give them a fixed amount of time (e.g. 30 seconds) and ask them to write down the number of a given letter (say 'a' or 'd' etc.) they could find. After the specified period I would ask them to read their answers one by one. And there would be laughter when one person said '10'. the next said '13' followed by 8, 12 etc.. Invariably i found that the average error was within 10 to 20 % in a group of around 20 participants.
Thanks to charanjit singh for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #132  
Old 5th May 2017, 07:32 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,133

Wow, it has been nearly 15 years since I started this thread and it still gets sporadic hits. It is probably a timeless discussion.

Of course, charanjit, inspector accuracy will depend on a lot of factors. For example, if you are trying to separate red items from green ones, or 1 inch items from quarter inch items, the inspection accuracy will be higher than for looking for small cracks in a part, for example.
  Post Number #133  
Old 6th May 2017, 05:29 AM
charanjit singh

Total Posts: 105

That's true Mike. In fact there are many psychological and physiological factors that contribute to the errors one may make at work. What goes on one's mind during performance of job may affect his/her concentration.A feeling of hurt, depression, or mental images of one's expectations during the forthcoming vacation are only a few instances one may think of.

In this context, I remember reading somewhere that in early 1960's when Martin Marietta Corporation was building modules for a space program, they used to conduct 17 consecutive visual inspections of soldered joints of the same module, based on the fact that a single inspection may be effective only around 85% in eliminating defects. And that would give a probability of defects= (0.15)^17!. Of course the inspectors did not know it was the same module they had inspected earlier.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action