The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

What is the typical industry standard for documenting Usability Risk?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
iec 62366 - medical device usability engineering, usability risk

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 14th April 2015, 07:12 AM
ryannh

Total Posts: 14
Question What is the typical industry standard for documenting Usability Risk?

With the recent release of IEC 62366-1 what is the typical industry standard for documenting usability risk? Are companies starting to turn towards using the FMEA process? Other than the IEC 62366 are there any good resources for ensuring that you are capturing everything?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 14th April 2015, 08:10 AM
kreid

Total Posts: 37
Re: What is the typical industry standard for documenting Usability Risk?

We use 14971 and 62366.

In my opinion 62366 is well written and therefore usable. The -1 draft also looks like a good improvement which we will adopt.
Thank You to kreid for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 14th April 2015, 08:12 AM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 5,958

Welcome to the Cove!

The addition of risk management in IEC 62366-1 is also happening in ISO 9001:2015 and similar questions are being asked.

In both standards there is no default format for documenting risk assessment. I often suggest FMEA because there is a great deal of documentation and instruction on that format. If applying the FMEA format I would consider not limiting to three existing factors (severity, occurrence and detection) but would add more factors and change the occurrence and detection to suit your needs. I suggest including a column for regulation and make this a default for Significant status; the Severity factor, which I would keep, could also trigger Significant status.

The most comprehensive and usable examples I have seen added columns to list applicable regulation(s), one for applicable operational control procedure(s), one for monitoring method(s). An additional set of columns could be added to show the effect on risk by actions taken to mitigate through improved operational controls. It is especially important to be able to point to the engineering changes done to lower Severity. I would add a Date column showing when it was done, and/or a reference number/name of a record for the applicable project to lower the risk.

I hope this helps!
Thanks to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 14th April 2015, 08:13 AM
ryannh

Total Posts: 14

KReid, Thanks for the response. I think I should have been more clear in my question. Do you do a usability risk analysis along with product/process risk analysis or is it built into the product/process risk analysis?
  Post Number #5  
Old 14th April 2015, 08:28 AM
Jen Kirley

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ryannh View Post

KReid, Thanks for the response. I think I should have been more clear in my question. Do you do a usability risk analysis along with product/process risk analysis or is it built into the product/process risk analysis?
If using Excel, an additional column could be used to indicate usability/process and sorted when the user wants to only view usability risk analysis.
  Post Number #6  
Old 14th April 2015, 08:46 AM
Jen Kirley

I would also add that automotive uses a Design FMEA, in which Severity criteria are specific to usability. Other factors might also be different, as appropriate for usability.
  Post Number #7  
Old 14th April 2015, 12:27 PM
Statistical Steven

Total Posts: 1,070

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ryannh View Post

Usability analysis is separate from process and product risk. Both are usually documented in the risk file, but risk assessment based on 14971 alone is not enough. Another document to look at is ANSI/AAMI HE75:2009
Thanks to Statistical Steven for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 14th April 2015, 05:05 PM
Marcelo Antunes

Total Posts: 2,959

A table such as the one in the attached document is what ISO 14971 (and IEC 62366) requires (I include the sequence or combination of events which is not formally required but makes sense in including)

If you use any hazard analysis technique such as FMEA, FTA, etc, you need to use the result of those to populate the ISO 14971 summary (as they do not have all the information required by ISO 14971).
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf Risk management summary example.pdf (38.7 KB, 348 views)
Thank You to Marcelo Antunes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering