The meaning of "Evaluation/Measurement Technique" & "Control Method" in Control Plan

A

astudent

What are the differences between "evaluation/measurement technique"and "control method" in a control plan?
Can somebody provide me with examples of the two items?
thank you

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
astudent said:
What are the differences between "evaluation/measurement technique"and "contron method" in a control plan?
Can somebody provide me with examples of the two items?
thank you
I've been dealing with Control Plans for nearly 30 years. I am not familiar with the word or phrase "contron method." Perhaps there is a typo or something in the context of the source of this question which will help us help you. Can you either give us an online link to the text or copy it here, together with the author, title, edition, etc.?

Essentially, any control plan requires a method of making measurements on the output and determining from those measurements whether the process is in "control" (meaning that the output is consistent, not whether the output is conforming.) One technique is to create a Control Chart of the measurements. Another technique is to create a statistical "picture" of the process based on sampling (Statistical Process Control - SPC.)

In any event, once we understand the source of your question, we can proceed to help you with an explanation.

In all Control Plans, the essential point is how you deal with the data, not necessarily the technique you use to create or manipulate the data.

You've asked interesting questions in the past. I hope we can help you with this one.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Evaluation/Measurement Technique - This column identifies the measurement system being used. This could include gages, fixtures, tools, and or test equipment required to measure the part/process/manufacturing equipment.

Control Method - This column contains a brief description of how the operation will be controlled, including procedure numbers where applicable. Operations may be controlled by, but are not limited to, SPC, inspection, attribute data, mistake-proofing and sampling plans.

(paraphrased from the AIAG APQP Reference Manual)

R

RAHarpster

Evaluation/Measurement Technique and Control Method Definitions

The 'Evaluation/Measurement Technique' is the measurement tool used to measure the process or product variable being controlled. As an example, the 'Evaluation/Measurement Technique' would be 'Visual' if you were comparing the contents of the paper work you received in shipping with the purchase order to make sure you received what you bought. In another case, the 'Evaluation/Measurement Technique' could be a micrometer if you were measuring the thickness of a component wall.

The 'Control Method' is the method you are going to use to analyze the data you obtain using the measurement tool identified in the 'Evaluation/Measurement Technique' column. In the first case above, your control method would be a 'Visual comparison with purchase order contents.' In the second case, you might plot the thickness on an SPC chart and thus the 'Control Method' could be 'X bar and R Chart'.

I hope this helps.

Rich Harpster
Harpco Systems, Inc.

A

astudent

thank you everybody! It is clear now!
Maybe this question was not one of the more interesting I made, but the CP forms I've seen so far were not done properly from this point of view and this is the reason for my doubt.
For Wes Bucey, It was a mistake: I typed "contron" for "control" and then copied and pasted it on the title, so I made the same error twice! :)
Added in edit: OK. I fixed the typo in the title for you.-Wes Bucey

Last edited by a moderator:
S

satyenderdeswal

Responsibility and Record

Hello sir,

Can some body tell whether RESPONSIBILITY & RECORD columns are required in Control Plan?
Is it a mendatory requirement???

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Responsibility and Record

Hello sir,

Can some body tell whether RESPONSIBILITY & RECORD columns are required in Control Plan?
Is it a mendatory requirement???

In general, when referring to "control plan," we think of the AIAG form and requirements. There is no "Responsibility" or "Record" field on the most recent version of the AIAG form (in the APQP manual, 2nd edition).

Aside from the AIAG control plan, what your control plan must include is generally a matter of customer requirements, or the requirements of your own company.

G

GoKats78

Re: The meaning of "evaluation/measurement technique" & "control method" in Control P

What are some examples of "Control Methods" and "Evaluation/Measurement Techniques"

Everyone would have some specific to their plant / industry, but, I would think, there would be some universal ones as well?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: The meaning of "evaluation/measurement technique" & "control method" in Control P

What are some examples of "Control Methods" and "Evaluation/Measurement Techniques"

You might have X bar-R chart or X hi/lo-R chart as "Control Methods" and micrometers as "measurement technique". You might have automated compensation as "control method" and internal machine measurement as "measurement technique". You could also have programmable oven controller as "control method" and thermocouple as "measurement technique". It is designed to be quite open to a variety of situations.

P

praveenraaaj

Hello,

Can any one please give futher more detailed explanation on Evaluation / measurement technique & Control method ? or

Any reference link to get the details?

An example for torque application would be helpful. Is Final Inspection a control method?

Also can anyone explain about the guidelines for assinging control method for various product and process characteristics?

Thanks for your Support!

Kind Regards,
Praveen R

Top Bottom