Screening: Blackett Burman versus Fraction Factorial

I

Ingo1966

Hello DoE Experts,

Let's assume you have 10 Factors and you want to filter the major ones.
Also let's assume there are Interactions.

In my opinion the Blackett Burman (12 Runs) is much more clever for screening as a Fraction Factorial Plan (L16)

Because of the irregular pattern all possible interactions are confounded with all main effects and contaminates nearly equally. (Resolution III)
Enough to see which Factors do have a high Effect.
One Column is the Empty one (Dummy Effect) which gives me indication of existing interactions. --> and all in 12 Runs

Alternatively a Fraction Factorial L16 (10 Factors) has a regular Pattern and a specific Confounding of Main Effects to Interaction effect (Resolution III)
5 empty Columns with confounded 2 way interactions. (defined by Generators)
But 16 Runs.

What do you prefer for Screening ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello DoE Experts,

In my opinion the Blackett Burman (12 Runs) is much more clever for screening as a Fraction Factorial Plan (L16)

Because of the irregular pattern all possible interactions are confounded with all main effects and contaminates nearly equally. (Resolution III)
One Column is the Empty one (Dummy Effect) which gives me indication of existing interactions. --> and all in 12 Runs

Alternatively a Fraction Factorial L16 (10 Factors) has a regular Pattern and a specific Confounding of Main Effects to Interaction effect (Resolution III)
But 16 Runs.

Comments anyone?

Thanks!

Stijloor.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hello DoE Experts,

But 16 Runs.

When you say Fractional Factorial Plan (L16) you are mixing classical fractional factorials with Taguchi Orthogonal Arrays.

This is important because classical fractional factorials come in many different resolutions from III to VII, whereas Taguchi OAs are Resolution III.

Specific to Resolution III designs, your comment is correct. That is, Resolution III classical and Taguchi OAs are completely confounded (aliased) while the Plackett Burmann design is only partially confounded (aliased). This does make the Plackett Burman design a wiser choice.

Top Bottom