Control of stock (Off the Shelf) Non-Conforming Material & Product Tags

N

Nmark78

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have a quick questions regarding control of forms/records. We purchase, in bulk, stock non-conforming tags from an online big box store. The forms are used whenever there is a deviation from process or damage to a part. The tag requires basic information to be filled out including issue, shop #, date, and initials of operator. These forms currently are not controlled with a form number and do not reside in our document control system.

My question is this: does this tag need to controlled? My thought is yes as it is required in our Non-conforming procedure which is part of our quality system.

I'm just looking for some feedback or advice before I do something with the 2000 NCM tags I purchased.

Thank you.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Control of stock Non-conforming tags

In your procedure for control of nonconforming material, specify that the material must be positively identified as nonconforming and that the identification medium should convey information that you think should be given. No need to control the tags so long as they include the required information.

V

Vthouta

Few years back, we had an audit observation for the tags that were not controlled. The auditor claimed that these can be used by any one, revised by any one as and asked us to revisit the process. Later, we have customized and created a template for non-conforming information that has controlled number assigned to the template.

It should be controlled as per control of 4.2.3 Control of documents and state in your procedure.

Vik

A

Alpine

We use a similar item, our purchasing team order it from the printers. Ours have a document and revision on it and in over 10 years we have never had to update. If we ever do, it will be easy to identify superceded tags from the current revision. Given it will not cause you any major headaches, I say have the document control and consistency across your system:2cents:

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have a quick questions regarding control of forms/records. We purchase, in bulk, stock non-conforming tags from an online big box store. The forms are used whenever there is a deviation from process or damage to a part. The tag requires basic information to be filled out including issue, shop #, date, and initials of operator. These forms currently are not controlled with a form number and do not reside in our document control system.

My question is this: does this tag need to controlled? My thought is yes as it is required in our Non-conforming procedure which is part of our quality system.

I'm just looking for some feedback or advice before I do something with the 2000 NCM tags I purchased.

Thank you.

Since you are buying pre-made tags online, they should be controlled as an external document per 4.2.3 (f) since those tags were not created internally. As far as putting a control number on the tags themselves, that should not be necessary if you follow 4.2.3 (f) by identifying what the tag is (listing it by name) and controlling its distribution (specifying the method used to distribute the identified tag).

Brian :rolleyes:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We use a similar item, our purchasing team order it from the printers. Ours have a document and revision on it and in over 10 years we have never had to update. If we ever do, it will be easy to identify superceded tags from the current revision. Given it will not cause you any major headaches, I say have the document control and consistency across your system:2cents:

Since you are buying pre-made tags online, they should be controlled as an external document per 4.2.3 (f) since those tags were not created internally. As far as putting a control number on the tags themselves, that should not be necessary if you follow 4.2.3 (f) by identifying what the tag is (listing it by name) and controlling its distribution (specifying the method used to distribute the identified tag).

This sort of thing will work, but why go to the trouble if it's not necessary? What people try to do is protect themselves against incompetent auditors rather than doing the rational thing and defending it when/if the need arises. There is altogether too much controlling of forms and tags when all that needs to be done is to control the information that must be recorded.

Top Bottom