The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Medical Device which is both Class I & CAT III PPE

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
class i medical device, mdd 93/42/eec, personal protective equipment (ppe), medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 28th December 2016, 05:32 AM
nurhakim

Total Posts: 42
Question Medical Device which is both Class I & CAT III PPE

Hi,

Is it possible that ONE product can be classified as a Class I (non-sterile, non-measuring) under 93/42/EEC and CAT III under 89/686/EEC at the same time? If a manufacturer already have a Class I product and self declare it, and later on wants to claim the same product as CAT III (PPE) without having a CE Mark certification, is it permissible?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 28th December 2016, 11:15 PM
nurhakim

Total Posts: 42
Re: Class I medical device & CAT III PPE

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by honkia View Post

By the 2007/47/EC which came into full force as of March 21st 2010, face masks may have to comply from with the essential safety requirements of the MDD 93/42/EEC as Class I medical devices AND also with the essential safety requirements of the PPE 89/686/EEC.

The EU Commission “categorization guide” on PPE 89/686/EEC specified in its explanation of category 7.3. that “surgical masks” were excluded of the scope of the PPE 89/686/EEC but added as a footnote (3):
“Where such masks are intended to protect the wearer against microbial and viral infections, etc. they are in certification category III (personal protection rather than medical use).

The MDD 93/42/EEC as amended by the 2007/47/EC is stating now in its article 1,6.. “Where a device is intended by the manufacturer to be used in accordance with both the provisions on Personal Protective Equipment in Council Directive 89/686/EEC (1) and this directive, the relevant basic health and safety requirements of Directive 89/686/EEC shall also be fulfilled.”

For instance, surgical masks being used for patient protection (MDD Class I) and protection of the practitioner using them (PPE category III) and risking infection from the patient during intervention.

For surgical masks that have no particular claim like a protection of the wearer against infectious diseases such as HIV contaminated blood or viruses (coming from the patient, in that case the mask will become a PPE category III), the surgical mask will have only to comply with MDD 93/42/EEC as amended by the 2007/47/EC under the scope and definition of a medical device.

Thanks for your reply. Let say if a manufacturer produces a Class I product, but the customer wants to claim it as Class I plus CAT III and the customer having a CE MARK for CAT III (but the manufacturer do not have the CE MARK for CAT III), can the packaging/labeling bear the CE Mark number of the customer?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 29th December 2016, 10:06 AM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,279
Re: Class I medical device & CAT III PPE

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by nurhakim View Post

Thanks for your reply. Let say if a manufacturer produces a Class I product, but the customer wants to claim it as Class I plus CAT III and the customer having a CE MARK for CAT III (but the manufacturer do not have the CE MARK for CAT III), can the packaging/labeling bear the CE Mark number of the customer?
Applying the CE mark to a product is a declaration that that product is compliant with all the EU directives that have CE marking provisions, that apply to it. There is no manufacturer discretion about it - a manufacturer can't choose whether or not to claim compliance with a specific CE marking directive. If it applies, based on the product itself and its labeling, compliance is mandatory and the CE mark is a statement that it was achieved.

The repsonsibility for this compliance (all applicable directives) rests with the legal manufacturer - the one whose name and address appear on the labelling. It makes no difference if it was in fact made by another manufacturer (private labeling).

Last edited by Ronen E; 5th January 2017 at 06:54 PM.
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th January 2017, 10:49 AM
pkost

Total Posts: 731
Re: Medical Device which is both Class I & CAT III PPE

I don't entirely agree with Ronen about whether the manufacturer has control over the directives they comply with - as a manufacturer they determine the claims they make and therefore have control over which directives they have to comply with:

- If you claim that the product protects the patient from the wearer, then this is a Medical Device and must comply with the MDD
- If you claim that the product protects the wearer from the patient, then this is a PPE product and must comply with the PPED
- If you make claims that the product protects both the patient and the wearer, then you must comply with both MDD and PPED

either the manufacturer or the customer can claim responsibility for compliance, however in doing so they must declare themselves as manufacturer and comply with ALL the appropriate directives.
  Post Number #5  
Old 5th January 2017, 07:00 PM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,279

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by pkost View Post

I don't entirely agree with Ronen about whether the manufacturer has control over the directives they comply with - as a manufacturer they determine the claims they make and therefore have control over which directives they have to comply with:

- If you claim that the product protects the patient from the wearer, then this is a Medical Device and must comply with the MDD
- If you claim that the product protects the wearer from the patient, then this is a PPE product and must comply with the PPED
- If you make claims that the product protects both the patient and the wearer, then you must comply with both MDD and PPED

either the manufacturer or the customer can claim responsibility for compliance, however in doing so they must declare themselves as manufacturer and comply with ALL the appropriate directives.
I don't see where we don't agree. I specifically wrote:

Quote:
If it applies, based on the product itself and its labeling, compliance is mandatory
Thanks to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th January 2017, 10:10 AM
pkost

Total Posts: 731

you're correct, my apologies - I'll shuffle off to another thread

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme