The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU Revision ? Medical Devices - 22nd July 2014 - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
2014, lead (pb), mdd 2011/65/eu - electrical equipment hazardous substances, medical device standards and regulations, mhra (medical & healthcare regulatory agency), rohs (restriction of hazardous substances), medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 12th June 2014, 03:22 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 599
Re: RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU Revision ? Medical Devices - 22nd July 2014

Quote:
The ROHS2 directive has to be applied to all components of the final EEE that is placed on the market in the way that the restrictions for the prohibited substances are defined as per cent per weight of the final product. That is, if your final product has a weight of 1 KG for example then all parts together must not contain more than 1g of lead or mercury or 0,1g cadmium or ... et cetera.
I don't know that this is correct.

The Directive speaks of "homogeneous" materials, which seems to imply that each homogeneous component must itself be RoHS compliant.

For example, if the entire device weighed 1kg, and contained no lead but for a single 1g screw that had 0.5g of lead, this device would be non-compliant (because the screw is a homogeneous component that is non-compliant).
Thank You to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 12th June 2014, 03:33 PM
redknight07

Total Posts: 34

Correct. The directive defines homogeneous material’ as one material of uniform composition throughout or a material, consisting of a combination of materials, that cannot be disjointed or separated into different materials by mechanical actions such as unscrewing, cutting, crushing, grinding and abrasive processes;

The screw needs to be compliant by itself and not in combination with the equipment. Thanks, Mark.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 12th June 2014, 05:05 PM
katapult

Total Posts: 7

Ah, that happens when writing posts on the fly.

Mark you're correct with your statement about homogenous material!
  Post Number #12  
Old 19th June 2014, 05:58 PM
redknight07

If I am interpreting the directive correctly, all products sold after the 22 July 2014 deadline need to be in compliance to the RoHS 2 directive and the subsequent modifications should be implemented in the technical file/DoC before sending out the product. So the deadline exists just to ensure that no product is released without compliance to RoHS 2, if within the scope of the directive.

If a product was in a transition stage and will not be available to place on the market until much later after the deadline, the technical files/DoC can be updated at a later date, irrespective of the RoHS 2 deadline, but before the product is placed on the market? Is this accurate or am I insane.

Cheers,
Aniket
  Post Number #13  
Old 20th June 2014, 01:08 AM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,280

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by redknight07 View Post

If I am interpreting the directive correctly, all products sold after the 22 July 2014 deadline need to be in compliance to the RoHS 2 directive and the subsequent modifications should be implemented in the technical file/DoC before sending out the product. So the deadline exists just to ensure that no product is released without compliance to RoHS 2, if within the scope of the directive.

If a product was in a transition stage and will not be available to place on the market until much later after the deadline, the technical files/DoC can be updated at a later date, irrespective of the RoHS 2 deadline, but before the product is placed on the market? Is this accurate or am I insane.

Cheers,
Aniket
Hi,

The RoHS recast is applicable to devices in it's scope that are placed on the market after the deadline. If a RoHS-recast-non-compliant device is initially placed on the market before the deadline, it is OK to further sell it (distribute it) after the deadline.

If a device is not placed on the EC market then there are no EC obligations regarding it's technical file. So, I think that the answer to your question is yes.

Cheers,
Ronen.
Thanks to Ronen E for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #14  
Old 21st July 2014, 12:23 PM
redknight07

Greetings,

To all those who have been involved in the RoHS transition process, have you applied the standard IEC/TR 62476 "Guidance for evaluation of products with respect to substance-use restrictions in EE products" for RoHS compliance at your place? It talks about having a restricted substance controls procedure, the other requirements seem somewhat similar to that required from suppliers in 50581 clause 4.3.3 to show RoHS compliance. There's just too many standards out there!

In a nutshell, I've moved in this new position only recently and was not involved in the RoHS planning process from the beginning. The practices to ensure that only RoHS compliant parts and components are purchased is in place it is just the documentation of the technical file and the revision of quality procedures which is in transition.

In the Tech Files, the content affected by RoHS Directive was the DoC and certain places within the essential requirements checklist where the RoHS standard was also referenced. I have included a section specifically in the Tech File that based on requirements of EN 50581 clause 4.3.3, we have collected supplier declaration and material declaration from suppliers as a means to show compliance to RoHS. Nothing else stands out to me at this moment regarding changes in the Tech File. Any opinion on this?

It is when it comes to its impact on procedures that I feel a bit short sighted. Few that come to mind are:

Purchasing Procedures: to ensure that RoHS material obtained is from an approved supplier and includes a DoC that the material is RoHS compliant.

Receiving Inspection
: to include instructions to check for RoHS compliance when receiving (something along these lines)

Supplier evaluation procedure: To state that those suppliers who provide critical components requiring RoHS compliance will be assessed accordingly.

Correction and removal procedures: to include that whenever a Non RoHS complaint product is released after deadline then perform Recall procedure, initiate NCR procedure, correction and removal. I believe all these 3 procedures or more will need revision for RoHS.

Risk Management File: to include statement saying that we trust the DoC/Material description provided by suppliers and will be auditing them yearly, something along these lines.

this is roughly the list of procedures that I feel will need to be revised. There are plenty which I would have missed here and hence needed your opinion.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Thank you, apologies for the long message.
  Post Number #15  
Old 21st July 2014, 12:40 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 599

Quote:
It is when it comes to its impact on procedures that I feel a bit short sighted.
My advice: less is more. Don't over-complicate your procedures. Or, if changes are needed to deal with something specific (e.g. RoHS), consider generalizing rather than adding a ton of "if-then" caveats.

For example, non-conformances and vigilance procedures probably don't have to be changed. If you have stated (in your design specifications or wherever, the the product shall be RoHS2 compliant, then presumably any non-RoHS should be handled like any other non-conformance.

As for purchasing & receiving, we've got a checkbox on our purchase orders for RoHS:
- Include with shipment (receiving inspection personnel responsibility to verify)
- Confirmed (if supplier posts it on their website or sends it by email. purchasing has responsibility)
- N/A (for non-RoHS items)

As for supplier evaluations: again, try to keep it general and don't paint yourself in a corner. Over-arching requirements such as "RoHS=audits" is just going to become a burden to you. For example you might just add:

"Suppliers of components in the scope of the RoHS2 Directive must provide evidence of RoHS compliance for the items purchased in the form of a DoC and/or material test-report. Provisional approvals may be granted, however justification for any deviations must be documented."

This gives you a lot of flexibility. Supplier can't provide RoHS DoC? Maybe they can still be granted provisional approval with justifications such as: products not for European market, you have done your own material tests,...

Quote:
have you applied the standard IEC/TR 62476 "Guidance for evaluation of products with respect to substance-use restrictions in EE products" for RoHS compliance at your place?
I'm not familiar with IEC 62476, but as far as I can tell, it is not a harmonized standard, therefore it does not presume conformity to a Directive (in this case RoHS2 Directive). Nevertheless, it might be helpful as guidance, and if so use it. ...but with non-harmonized standards, you can afford to pick-and-choose what you believe are the relevant parts to help demonstrate Directive conformance.

Best.
Thanks to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #16  
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:24 AM
CharlieUK

Total Posts: 112

EN 50581:2012 is the only Harmonised Standard (HS) for RoHS.

Whilst HS are not mandatory, they do give a presumption of conformity and enforcement authorities, such as customs, seem to operate on the basis that HS are required. They're not, but it's often easier to comply with one than to try and explain why you are compliant to a person who doesn't understand.

One important distinction that 50581 makes is that not all suppliers are equal and therefore you are likely to need different levels of assurance from different suppliers in your supply chain.

regards
Charlie
Thank You to CharlieUK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme