The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

RoHS Directive - Supplier Compliance - Declaration of Conformance

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
rohs (restriction of hazardous substances)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 14th October 2016, 11:02 AM
MJW66

Total Posts: 32
Please Help! RoHS Directive - Supplier Compliance - Declaration of Conformance

I was wondering if anyone else is having difficulties with their suppliers attesting to RoHS compliance on a lot by lot basis. Some suppliers have informed us that they will not do this, but will offer a declaration of conformance on an annual basis. I know that this is weak, but would it be acceptable? We could add some language regarding any changes that might occur during the year, but it is still not as good as lot by lot certification. All of our products have CE marking through self-certification. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 14th October 2016, 12:04 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 713
Re: RoHS Directive - Supplier conformance

RoHS has requirements that often (though not always) involve additional testing (such as ppm Pb content). Regardless, it is another piece of paper that has cost in itself to fill out, and risk associated with attestation.

Annual testing has one cost. Testing every lot has more cost.
You have asked for lot by lot...what $$ have you offered in exchange for the additional costs you have asked them to bear?

If you asked them to spend money, and offered them nothing in exchange, it is not surprising that the answer might be "No".
If you ask enough people, you may also get the answer "Your new product price will be $____"

Demanding that vendors do what they promised is one thing (and quite reasonable)
Demanding/requesting that they do more is, well, more...
Thanks to Ninja for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 14th October 2016, 12:29 PM
normzone

Total Posts: 553

I've little to add at this time, but I am following this thread. Customer requirements are driving increased regulatory compliance, and this means additional work. The money has to come from somewhere.
  Post Number #4  
Old 14th October 2016, 01:04 PM
MJW66

Hello Ninja:

The RoHS requirement was upfront as part of the original purchase order. I can understand if it was an "add-on", but quite simply, it was not. However, even though it was upfront, it doesn't help us if they will not comply with a DoC with every shipment. I posted this to see if others have experienced the same and what their minimum objective form of compliance was with respect to their suppliers. I am familiar with the physical testing that we can do.
  Post Number #5  
Old 14th October 2016, 01:36 PM
Ninja

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MJW66 View Post

The RoHS requirement was upfront as part of the original purchase order. I can understand if it was an "add-on", but quite simply, it was not. However, even though it was upfront, it doesn't help us if they will not comply with a DoC with every shipment. I posted this to see if others have experienced the same and what their minimum objective form of compliance was with respect to their suppliers. I am familiar with the physical testing that we can do.
I don't mean to play semantics...but in this case it makes a large difference...

"The RoHS requirement was upfront as part of the original purchase order."
Which RoHS requirement?
- To comply
- To test and provide DoC with every shipment
A lot of $$ difference between these.
{And being part of the original purchase order is rather different than it being mutually agreed...}

I can comply with the speed limit any time I drive.
Proving to you that I do every time I drive is a whole lot more work.

Why not simply ask your customer what they do to ensure compliance?
That seems a more productive starting place than trying to figure out what is "reasonable to others".

You can then base your handling of the situation on that.

20/20 hindsight...having them define the compliance method and verification frequency might have been best worked out during the negotiation. Keep it in mind for the next vendor.

There's a thread on here somewhere about things that were part of purchase order terms...
  Post Number #6  
Old 14th October 2016, 01:39 PM
Ninja

Here it is...
https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread...purchase+terms
  Post Number #7  
Old 14th October 2016, 02:17 PM
MJW66

To be honest, I'm not sure how else to describe this. We asked for components that are RoHS compliant and that we receive a CoC stating this with every shipment. Some suppliers will not comply. We did not ask for testing. I thought this was clear in my first post, but maybe it was not.
  Post Number #8  
Old 14th October 2016, 02:46 PM
Ninja

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MJW66 View Post

We asked for components that are RoHS compliant and that we receive a CoC stating this with every shipment. Some suppliers will not comply.
Again, it is in the sematics:

You asked for it. Understood.
Did they agree to do it? It seems not.

Giving an RoHS conformance statement lot by lot (or is it shipment by shipment?) is not like giving a boilerplate CoA lot by lot reporting data tested already...it is more work and likely more expense for them.

You asked for more work from them.
They said "no".
The next logical step is to see what the issue is.
If it is money (my guess), then the next step is to see :

1. what it is that you actually NEED.
2. how much it costs to get that
3. negotiate who pays what part of that cost.

FWIW, in the same position as your vendor I have quoted the additional cost of complying with your request...it wasn't cheap...in one case it tripled the cost of the goods.
Funny how that customer suddenly realized that they didn't really "NEED" it.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > National and International Business System Standards > CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme