Is ARIMA (Time Series Analysis) Model appropriate for this Dental Research?

I

ivanchuk

Hi members.
Please, I have a doubt in my study for doctoral thesis?

Title: ?Development of a thermal cycling protocol for dental materials?.
Objective: to create a protocol for thermal aging, from measurements that were found in people mouth.
Doubt: What analyses could I use for this variation temperature data?
Experimental unit: six volunteers
Variable: temperature

Context:
In one day there is 16000 data. In 3 days, there is 48000 data for each volunteers.
Then, I have 6 x 48000 = 288.000 temperature values !!!!

more informations

A student of PhD in dentistry did a work to describe an average pattern of temperature (?C) variation in the oral cavity of six volunteers.

She collected oral temperature data (?C) for 3 days, in 6 patients at each 4 of 4 seconds.

The aim is to establish an average pattern of temperature variation, according to the time, temperature variation and the number of changes per day.

The patients have different routines of each others and per day, so, is there any statistical analyses that I can establish a standard protocol with her data?

Basically, she would like to find an answer like as: A person, on average, per day, has three temperature increases of 40?C , which was maintained for 40 seconds, and 3 temperature decreases from 16?C maintained for 40 seconds.

Is ARIMA test appropriate for this study?

TIA
Ivan

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Is ARIMA Model appropriate for this Dental Research?

I probably would not use Time Series Analysis (i.e., ARIMA) to answer your questsions. I would start by plotting the data on an individuals control chart (i.e., I-MR chart), then summarizing the frequency of out-of-control events, the duration and the magnitude (+/-) of each event. I would also recommend using the confidence intervals for these statistics in addition to the average.

I

ivanchuk

Re: Is ARIMA Model appropriate for this Dental Research?

I probably would not use Time Series Analysis (i.e., ARIMA) to answer your questsions. I would start by plotting the data on an individuals control chart (i.e., I-MR chart), then summarizing the frequency of out-of-control events, the duration and the magnitude (+/-) of each event. I would also recommend using the confidence intervals for these statistics in addition to the average.
Thanks for the answer... So, we don?t have any experience with it... Could you give us an example for guide us to start it? thank you again. Caroline.

Top Bottom