Nominated Supplier (long standing relationship with the company) Evaluations

D

Dharmanand

Dear All,

With respect to nominated suppliers (i.e. suppliers nominated by the company and have long standing relationship with the company), do we need to make regular evaluation, in line with the requirements of the ISO 9001 standard like other 'normal' suppliers?

Pls to advise.

Thanks
Dharmanand

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Nominated suppliers

I've recently been working with a few construction clients and they get a number of nominated suppliers specified in contracts.

My view is that the organisation has to use them but they should still do some form of evaluation to find out what they are good at and what they are not. It may be that they are not good at delivering on time so allowances can be made to 'head off' these problems.

Whilst it is not ideal to have to use someone who has weaknesses, it is better to know what those weaknesses are so that you can manage them.

D

Dharmanand

Re: Nominated suppliers

Dear Marc Smith,

Thanks for the quick response.

Pls also note that the nominated suppliers are here since many years back before implementation of our Quality Management System.

I want to point out there is not presently any appointment letter etc.. iro the nominated suppliers and therefore we could not provide evidence that these suppliers have been appointed under a contract whatsoever.

How are the above to be dealt with the forthcoming Re-Certification Audit to be held shortly.

Grateful for your advice.
Thks.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would suggest a little research into the performance of these suppliers. How good/bad are they? Check for late deliveries, nonconformances, complaints related to their product/service, returned goods, etc.

If they are OK, you should have no real problems but if not, a reasonable question for the auditor to ask would be 'what are you doing about it?'

Clause 7.4.1 states 'Criteria for the selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established'. So the answer to your question is that they need to be re-evaluated along the way.

W

world quality

Re evaluation of supplier:

1. Do you have a supplier quality manual and it should state by your procedures, how when and where this is done.

2. if supplier is ideal for 1 year he has to be re audited and recertified.

3. It is the same if customer directed supplier.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re evaluation of supplier:

1. Do you have a supplier quality manual and it should state by your procedures, how when and where this is done.

2. if supplier is ideal for 1 year he has to be re audited and recertified.

3. It is the same if customer directed supplier.

world quality - there is no requirement for auditing and certifying suppliers.

ISO9001:2000 states in paragraph 7.4.1 the "criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established". You may use whatever method works for you, as long as you can show the effectiveness of your method.

Many folks just use the supplier audit/re-audit for compliance to this clause. Others measure things like on-time delivery, suplier service, or costs.

Dharmanand - you do need to make a periodic review of your suppliers, but it is up to you to find the method that works best in your enviroment. If you have suppliers that you have a long standing relationship - use that as your evidence of satisfactory performance.

Top Bottom