Root Cause Analysis Requirements per TS 16949:2009

wildbill72

Starting to get Involved
Does there need to be written evidence to show how a root cause was determined, such as a "5 why", in the problem solving methodology to satisfy ISO/TS 16949:2009 requirements?
Thanks in advance.
:thanx:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
in 8.5.2.1 of the standard, there is a requirement that reads
If a customer-prescribed problem-solving format exists, the organization shall use the prescribed format
So, in that case, yes, there must be evidence of the methodology used and the details of the (root) cause investigation.

wildbill72

Starting to get Involved
Thanks. What if it is not for a customer issue? Such as an internal non conformance or internal audit finding?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Then, it is a gray area. 8.5.2 e) requires records of "actions taken". But not necessarily records of the cause investigation.

As always, if you are disputing the validity of an NC, you are entitled to ask the NC initiator what exactly is the requirement they are reporting as nonconforming.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Aside from the "requirements" question, wouldn't it seem to be a good idea to do so? If done right, that's pretty good information that can be captured and used.

wildbill72

Starting to get Involved
Absolutely! I was just pondering a minor write up that was received during a TS 16949 re-certification audit.
Thanks for the input.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Absolutely! I was just pondering a minor write up that was received during a TS 16949 re-certification audit.
Thanks for the input.

I know our auditors have stopped on root cause in the past. We have had discussions. I think one of our customers has a CSR requiring a 5y or something. It can be helpful in certain situations, but necessary for all. IMO, It should be "where applicable." Good luck.

R

randomname

If you're going to take the time/effort/resources to do a RCA then there should be sufficient documentation so that others can see the evidence as to what the causes were. Otherwise it's likely to be a punt (e.g., human error, retraining).

Top Bottom