Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques

J

jabbett

Most of our drawings are in pdf format. Engineering assigns feature ID numbers to individual features. We then in turn bubble the drawings by hand.

Is there a cheap and easy way to apply the bubbles without buying some expensive software? The feature ID numbers can range into the thousands.

I have seen some posts about using excel. I am not sure how this works. I do have access to Mastercam. We don't have models with built in MBD.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Most of our drawings are in pdf format. Engineering assigns feature ID numbers to individual features. We then in turn bubble the drawings by hand.

Is there a cheap and easy way to apply the bubbles without buying some expensive software? The feature ID numbers can range into the thousands.

I have seen some posts about using excel. I am not sure how this works. I do have access to Mastercam. We don't have models with built in MBD.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
I feel your pain. As a contract machining company, we often created our own numbering system for the various features of a product on hard copies of customer drawings. I remember hours spent burnishing those little numbers from transfer sheets next to each feature on the drawing, then creating inspection sheets with feature number, criteria, instrument used or to use, and result.

It is ever so essential when dealing with multiple features with the same dimension (0.250 +/-0.005, for example) to prevent confusion or duplication during inspection and assure another inspector can replicate the inspection using similar instruments.

Our system married the feature numbering system with the most efficient order of inspecting these features (required, then listing all the features to be inspected with the same gage or instrument, then next instrument, etc.)

Suggestion:
Typically, the drawings are created in a CAD program, then copied as locked pdf files so they can easily be read or printed without requiring the CAD program be resident on every machine. Is there a possibility of collaborating with the CAD operators to add the feature numbers BEFORE the drawings are copied to pdf?
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

You can use Adobe Acrobat to balloon drawings. It's faster than doing it by hand, and easier to make corrections. See the attachment.

Attachments

• Acrobat Ballooning.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,482
S

simonyeeklang

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

I am using Corel draw X5 simple and easy to use. New version is Corel draw X6

A

Alan Wilson

I was new to this just 2 months ago, and found that Foxit pdf reader is great for annotation PDF,s. It also allows other text etc to be added with-out affecting the integrety of the original PDF.
As this is my forst post unable to post link but google Foxit
I have also found thier support is very good and prompt.

Hope this helps :bonk:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I was new to this just 2 months ago, and found that Foxit pdf reader is great for annotation PDF,s. It also allows other text etc to be added with-out affecting the integrety of the original PDF.

Thanks for the tip. I'm interested in the ability to "comment" within a pdf file. I've downloaded and installed the program on an XP-powered machine. The descriptions on the website (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) seem VERY useful. If I have good or bad experience over the next month or so, I'll report. If they are good experiences, I will download onto a Windows 7 machine and report if there is any appreciable difference between operating systems.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Welcome to the Cove Alan .. and hope to see you more here.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

There's also a portable version (can be installed on a flash drive) that could be handy to those who might not be able to do software installations at work.

Q

QAMTY

Jabett

For this need, try PDF-Xchange, you can add text, boxes, clouds, circles,etc.

Hope this helps.

QA4ALL

Registered
I am also looking for a way to semi-automate the "bubble feature" on PDF drawing files. Many of these files come from customers and using the CAD drawing is not a viable solution. We used to have an Adobe Writer plug-in of some sort that automatically incremented the bubble number. The program was lost and I can't find anything about it on the web. If anyone knows how to get a tool like this, please let me know.

Thanks

Top Bottom