APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant

T

tabort

90% of our business is Aerospace but many of our products are getting attention outside of that world. We recently got our first request with PPAP Lvl III requirement and I'm certain it won't be our last.

Can someone contrast the two and help me understand how a PPAP Lvl II would differ from the processes we already have in place. (i.e. AS9102) The part I'm having the most difficulty with is translating our processes we already have in place into the FMEA requirement.

Thanks in advance!
Tabor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
90% of our business is Aerospace but many of our products are getting attention outside of that world. We recently got our first request with PPAP Lvl III requirement and I'm certain it won't be our last.

Can someone contrast the two and help me understand how a PPAP Lvl II would differ from the processes we already have in place. (i.e. AS9102) The part I'm having the most difficulty with is translating our processes we already have in place into the FMEA requirement.

Thanks in advance!
Tabor

I think that you have a lot of work to do. The PPAP is a selection of documents generated during the APQP. Level 1,2,3 or 4 does not really matter. All the work has to be done. Level only indicates what to submit to the customer.

Developing good FMEA (design and process) is time consuming for the 1st time.

I would start with getting copies of both APQP and PPAP manuals from the AIAG.

From my experience AS9102 is more focused on inspection results (small lot production) and compliance and PPAP is more focused on process capability and improvement (high volume production).

I found something to read:

http://www.aerospacecomponents.org/library/Progressive_Manufacturing/PPAP-UTC_Present_to_Lean_Team_Pete_Teti_6-14-12.pdf

T

tabort

Fortunately, this is a very simple assembly (3 parts) with only two processes so I don't think it will be to bad. The small lot vs high volume makes a lot of sense. 200 is a large order for us and when we're done with a production run, the tooling goes on the shelf often for months before we see another order.

Top Bottom