Is a RJ45 LAN Connector worn on Body Medically Safe?

Loekje

Involved In Discussions
Dear All,

Any standard UTP RJ45 Ethernet LAN connector is accessible with the test finger (let alone the children test finger for home use).
Most connector blocks have internal transformers thus there is DC isolation from the inside to the outside, we do not use those suitable for Power over Ethernet that have pins connected to the outside.
An internally powered medical device (lets say a body worn) is polling for LAN connection. Is this device stil safe regarding touch current (60601 clause 8.7.3.c / Figure 14)?
Does anyone know these type of signals on the UTP pins in this situation?
Are there certified Medical Devices out in the field with just a plain vanilla UTP connector?

I know we can do a quick and dirty test with two defined Measuring Devices and a Raspberry Pi, but up front i'm a bit insecure about how representative such test would be. And do not want to be forced to design in a touch proof Ethernet connector later on.

Thanks,
Loek

FWIW: In my humble opinion it is crazy that first a test finger is used to determine the accessible parts, but then some test pens with sharp pins or clamps are used to connect to individual pins of the RJ45. It is not that one can put two (children)fingers in a RJ45 at the same time! Of course a current can flow between two points in a finger tip, but not to earth or other accesible points (remember the transformer in the RJ45 connector). But because this current does not flow pass the heart the risk is much much lower. Stil, according to our test house the same limits of 8.7.3 apply.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Loek,
I don't fully understand the predicament you are in, but it seems to me that you should summarize these points in the risk management file and turn to another test house for a second opinion.
The standard does not specifically define how the "nature of contact with the ME EQUIPMENT" is determined. So there should be some room for reason. :)

Cheers,
Shimon

Top Bottom