The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

AS9100, Clause 8.5.1.3 - First Article Inspection Costs - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 revision d (2016), first article inspection (fai)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 17th September 2018, 12:36 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 310
Re: AS9100, Clause 8.5.1.3 - First Article Inspection Costs

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by CanadianQA View Post

That's a huge relief! What do you suggest for a FAI process then? The only experience I have with FAI is AS9102, so what other means would meet the requirement?

Plan your review of the requirements to determine what needs to me measured. Put those dimensions on the traveler and measure parts per your internal AQL and document the results on the traveler as well.

If you want to be extra safe, send that determination to your 'customer' for approval as part of the process (prior to acceptance).

Hypothetical:

AS9102 talks about what do you do if you get a digital product definition. What would you do then?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 17th September 2018, 02:06 PM
Michael_M

Total Posts: 558

We have to do AS9102 for most of our customers, however for the AS9100d requirements, do you perform a setup inspection and record the data somehow (we write the setup dimensions directly onto the print and scan that onto our server).
  Post Number #11  
Old 17th September 2018, 02:16 PM
Eredhel

Total Posts: 294

Do you do documented inspections at all? You could easily adjust that form for what you need.
  Post Number #12  
Old 17th September 2018, 04:41 PM
CanadianQA

Total Posts: 22

Thanks for all the replies. We certainly do documented inspections, however they are mostly identified as pass / fail. Pass is units are within the tolerance, fail if not. Failures are identified and put through our non conformance process.

Virtually none of our customers request an FAI, so I don't want to be using the AS9102 requirements unless specifically requested. I think I've come up with a solution so please let me know what you think.

I'm going to state in my procedures manual that we do FAI using FORM XYZ (meets the AS9102 requirements) when specifically requested to do so by the customer. If not requested by the customer or for internal work, we do FAI on FORM XXX (does not meet AS9102). I've attached the form XXX for comments.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf First Article Inspection Form - Internal - Not Customer Requested.pdf (44.9 KB, 17 views)
  Post Number #13  
Old 20th September 2018, 04:07 PM
CanadianQA

Total Posts: 22

I was really hoping for a few more comments on my idea in the last post. Any of the AS9100 veterans here have some comments on what I'm proposing?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
  Post Number #14  
Old 20th September 2018, 04:26 PM
Eredhel

Total Posts: 294

It depends so much on your organization and how you have things set up. We have our own inspection report that we use for our first articles and random in process inspections that also allows us to keep track of our sample size and authorization for release to shipping along with the typical checks for heat lot number, drawing number and rev, et cetera.

But when we have a customer that wants AS9102 First Articles we use the actual AS9102 forms, not something that tries to meet its requirements.
  Post Number #15  
Old 21st September 2018, 07:57 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,270

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by CanadianQA View Post

I was really hoping for a few more comments on my idea in the last post. Any of the AS9100 veterans here have some comments on what I'm proposing?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
I did not look at your form, but I see nothing wrong with what you propose.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >