KPIs - Lead and Lag Indicators - ISO 9001:2015

Q

QAMTY

Hi everybody
I wonder how do you manage your indicators under ISO 9001 2015.
I use plain indicators, just kpis defined for main processes and have defined goals for all of them, kpis are defined based on objectives.
They are revised, most of them every month.
When they are not in compliment I apply CA or PA.
However in the last time I have seen that this is really an "autopsy", this practice doesnt allow me to prevent the problems before the happen.
I have seen the need to revise kpis weekly or maybe daily in order to
apply corrections before things go wrong.
I read on the web about lead and lag indicators, and I thought they could be applied in my ISO 9001.

Do you have any method/experience regarding how to manage KPIs
and how to detect problems before they happen?
Would it be just doing revisions more frequently? or is there a special methodology, maybe Lead an lag indicators?

Thanks for your help

B

bigqman

Re: Lead and lag indicators on ISO 9001 2015?

QAMTY I don't think 9000:2015 explicitly addresses the need for leading and lagging indicators, but between the objectives & plans in 6.2 and the monitoring of process performance (and conformity of product) in 9.3.2 Management review, I think there is an opportunity to identify and implement a balance of leading and lagging indicators that give you the best perspective on the system as a whole. I look forward to this discussion - thank you!

P

PaulJSmith

Re: Lead and lag indicators on ISO 9001 2015?

Obviously, you will be discussing these issues in your Management Review meetings. The nature of your business and the frequency of your MR meetings will no doubt influence how you manage your goals beyond that. Certainly, your process owners are reviewing and analyzing the data on a regular basis, and are probably the ones most capable of spotting trends either negative or positive.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I take a SPC / Balanced Scorecard approach. Heavily involved with Fluor Government Group, and fly Sunday to the Chalk River site (nuclear) in Ontario to continue on with the development. You may find this recent presentation for ASQ Ottawa Section 407 to be useful.

Attachments

• ASQ 407 January 2017.pptx
    482.6 KB · Views: 514

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everybody
I wonder how do you manage your indicators under ISO 9001 2015.
I use plain indicators, just kpis defined for main processes and have defined goals for all of them, kpis are defined based on objectives.
They are revised, most of them every month.
When they are not in compliment I apply CA or PA.
However in the last time I have seen that this is really an "autopsy", this practice doesnt allow me to prevent the problems before the happen.
I have seen the need to revise kpis weekly or maybe daily in order to
apply corrections before things go wrong.
I read on the web about lead and lag indicators, and I thought they could be applied in my ISO 9001.

Do you have any method/experience regarding how to manage KPIs
and how to detect problems before they happen?
Would it be just doing revisions more frequently? or is there a special methodology, maybe Lead an lag indicators?

Thanks for your help

You are on the right track on collecting and providing analyze to your Quality objectives as defined in Clause 9.1.3 as a minimum.

Now here are some tools for you to monitor and improve the process:
Internal Audits
Customer or third party audits
Management Review
Process monitoring and trends
Safety programs
Equipment Preventive Maintenance
Electronic Data Backup program
....and yes SPC for a short period of time.

D

DRAMMAN

QAMTY
Are you trying to use KPI's strictly for the purpose of passing the ISO audit? Does your organization currently use metrics and KPI's as an integrated component of your management system?

As others have stated, ISO9001:2015 does not require metrics or KPI's. For KPI's to be a truly effective element of your management system they should be rooted in and cascade from your organizations objectives.

dsanabria

QAMTY

As others have stated, ISO9001:2015 does not require metrics or KPI's. For KPI's to be a truly effective element of your management system they should be rooted in and cascade from your organizations objectives.

I though 9.1.3 established which ones to do and 6.2 established what to do with objectives?

D

DRAMMAN

I though 9.1.3 established which ones to do and 6.2 established what to do with objectives?

There is no requirement that you use KPI's. Sec 9.1.3 states what you must evaluate and measure. That does not require an organization to use KPI's.

dsanabria

There is no requirement that you use KPI's. Sec 9.1.3 states what you must evaluate and measure. That does not require an organization to use KPI's.

9.1.3 establishes the minimum requirement

and

6.2 describes what needs to be done - including documenting it.

6.2.1 The organization shall establish quality objectives at relevant functions, levels and processes needed for the quality management system.

The quality objectives shall:

a) be consistent with the quality policy;

b) be measurable;

c) take into account applicable requirements;

d) be relevant to conformity of products and services and to enhancement of customer satisfaction;

e) be monitored;

f ) be communicated;

g) be updated as appropriate.

The organization shall maintain documented information on the quality objectives.

If that does not help you then the third party auditor would explain that he is looking for objective evidence for the quality objectives as describe in 9.1 and what are the results so that he could see how you meet those requirements.

Top Bottom