What is an 'Elephant Chart"?

J

jacko

I have been asked to implement an Elephant Chart, and I have not been able to find information on those. Does anyone know how to implement one of those charts?

F

Frank T.

i have attached a copy of a blank elephant chart. an elephant chart is a way of tracking reoccuring nonconformances. the chart was introduced to me by a united technolgies company, when i implemented a quality clinic. hope this helps.

Attachments

• Blank Elephant Chart.XLS
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,941

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Jacko,

i have also attached an example of a filled-in elephant chart to help give you an idea of how it works.

Thanks for the files :D. I have a question that I'm almost afraid to ask, though. Other than the fact that the chart has a picture of an elephant on it, why is it called an elephant chart? No elephant jokes, please.:cool:

J

jacko

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the file very much. this should be a great help.

The explanation that I got concerning the term 'elephant chart' referred to the fact that the elephant "never forgets" and this a tool that can be used to point out past actions (sometimes forgotten) that affect an outcome. I don't know if that is correct, but if there is a different expanation please let us know.

Again, Thank you.

V

vidya kulkarni

Thanks Frank. How do we map errors vs Resource Vs delivarable. If u have any idea pl share with forum

B

Brian Hunt

Call me old fashioned but...

I don't like things like this. It's jargon that creates barriers between those who know and those who don't. Process improvement and quality should involve as many people as possible.

Keep it simple and use plain language is my approach.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Call them whatever you like, but trending is good practice. Try this chart, which I adapted from Frank's very nice attachment.

In the top set of Cause 1, Cause 2 etc, enter the name of what you want to track. The processes, people or places in which you would find incidents of these kinds will be listed in the top. The charts will automatically show results as their data are entered.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• Elephant Chart2.xls
    68 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
M

Michael T

Call them whatever you like, but trending is good practice. Try this chart, which I adapted from Frank's very nice attachment.

In the top set of Cause 1, Cause 2 etc, enter the name of what you want to track. The processes, people or places in which you would find incidents of these kinds will be listed in the top. The charts will automatically show results as their data are entered.

I hope this helps!

That is a terrific modification to the chart!! :applause:

Thanks Jennifer!!

Cheers!

Michael

Top Bottom