CE mark - Trying to determine if our product needs CE approval

C

crystal

:eek: Hi, I am trying to determine if our product needs CE approval. It is a low voltage hand held tool used in crafting. No temperature control or on/off switch. Max temp is less than 300 degrees. How can determine if it needs approval? How can I find the registry, if there is one, where all approved products are listed?
Thanks!

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
First question.....do you currently or intend to sell in Europe? If yes, then you need CE.....

If you need testing to support CE declaration, I suggest an accredited organization such as UL, CSA, or FM.

Others on here are better sources to direct you to a notified body.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

M

M Greenaway

Your product probably comes under the scope of the Low Voltage Directive, and the EMC Directive for CE marking.

The full texts of these directives can be found at www.europa.eu.int

Look also however at all the other directives that require CE marking, as I am not fully conversant on all of them, and there may be others which affect you.

As the previous post says, this is only applicable for selling into the EU member states.

You should also consider the WEEE directive and the RoHS directive for your product, as these are not related to CE marking, but none the less have to be addressed by anyone wishing to sell into the EU.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
crystal said:
:eek: Hi, I am trying to determine if our product needs CE approval. It is a low voltage hand held tool used in crafting. No temperature control or on/off switch. Max temp is less than 300 degrees. How can determine if it needs approval? How can I find the registry, if there is one, where all approved products are listed?
Thanks!
Hi Crystal and welcome to the cove. If you are selling into the EU you will need the CE Mark. It seems like you will need to meet the Low Voltage Directive as a minimum. You can find all the directives along with the list of harmonised standards relevant to each one here.

Last edited:

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here is a number that you may want to contact:

US Department of Commerce International Trade Administration's Office of European Union and Regional Affairs (what a mouthfull)
202-482-5276

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
I am interested in exporting an insultation tester to Europe. Form the Notified Body it has been determined that the insulation tester is not a medical device.

I consider that the device does not fall under Low Voltage Directive, because it is not an “equipment designed for use with a voltage rating of between 50 and 1000V for alternating current and between 75 and 1500V for direct current”. It is supplied at 9VDC and produce 2800VDC for testing purpose.

I was not able to find another mandatory European directive, for CE marking, that could apply to this device.

The device has been successfully tested to EN60601-1-2:2001 for EMC.

Can I make a self declaration? Do I need an authorized representative in Europe?

If I made a self declaration and I will supply the Technical Documentation File to my European representative, could I affix the CE mark on my products?

Danny

G

Gert Sorensen

I am unable to find any regulation regarding this with the information at hand. Why did you test it according to EN60601?

Is anybody able to provide feedback on this one?

Top Bottom