E'Message board in the work place

qcman

Registered Visitor
Not sure if this is the right forum so it can be moved if needed.I was thinking about using one of the free internet message board programs (like cove is) at work for internal network use.I haven't talked with IT yet so I'm not sure what it will take or if it can be done but it sure seems like it could be a useful way to communicate besides email.Has anyone tried this yet?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
qcman said:
Not sure if this is the right forum so it can be moved if needed.I was thinking about using one of the free internet message board programs (like cove is) at work for internal network use.I haven't talked with IT yet so I'm not sure what it will take or if it can be done but it sure seems like it could be a useful way to communicate besides email.Has anyone tried this yet?
Just to put things in perspective: the current system at the Cove isn't "free" and there is a lot of man/woman hours behind the scenes to maintain the system.

There ARE free software packages that will approximate the function, but not the look/feel of the Cove.

I hope some of the Cove members whose companies use internal bulletin boards/blogs will step forward and tell us how they work in practice. With luck, we may even get some of the folks who provide the background support to tell us how easy/hard they are to maintain.

I like the idea of "collaborating" and many commercial (cost money) software packages have systems for individual teams (standing or ad hoc*) to collaborate among each other and betweem teams without giving up too much security.

One of the things which will help in generating suggestions for you is to tell us how many folks you have for a potential user group.

*ad hoc = group put together for a specific purpose.

qcman

Registered Visitor
Phpbb is just what I was thinking.The cove was just a reference and would be over kill for our needs.A car club I am in has a standard phpbb which we could strip down to department use for the 40 or so users.

M

morgand - 2006

We tried using a message board at work to post priorities, changes, meetings, etc..., but people quit using it rather quickly. Seems as though it took to much time (?).

Top Bottom