Definition Alien English - Interpreting abbreviations and Acronyms

T

Trolle

Hello all,
This here cove seems full of treasures. Problem is its not that evident where to find those gems. My improvement proposal is as follows.

I would like to start a thread asking for help interpret ting various abbreviations.

I don’t know how much you all share my frustration over the multitudes of abbreviations that fill our working universe. During an eight-hour shift one may well face several different engineering cultures each with their specific jargon. Not to mention our very own ISO/quality lingo. And all this is in a mystical alien tongue (i.e. English) to boot.

Anyone with me on this?

Cheers

C

Craig H.

Trolle

Welcome to the Cove!

Why not start by listing some of the "offending" acronyms? Were the ones in question quality related (i.e. QMS = Quality Management System) or internet related (IMO = In My Opinion)?

Anyhow, anything that clears the air is a good idea IMHO (=In My Honest Opinion).

Craig

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
FYI (for your informatioin)

Hi Trolle,

Welcome to the Cove....

Try the search function. I know we did this a while back, listed out the common on-line acronyms (sp?) (spelled wrong, maybe). Good luck and happy hunting.

TTYL (talk to ya later)

CarolX

howste

Thaumaturge
OK, here are the ones I have used or am likely to use here:

BTW - by the way
FWIW - for what it's worth
FYI - for your information
IMO - in my opinion
LOL - laughing out loud
ROFL - rolling on floor laughing
ROFLMAOASTC - rolling on floor laughing my @$$ off and scaring the cat :vfunny:
&*^%*&%^* - cursing :eek:

EMS - environmental management system
QMS - quality management system
QS - QS-9000
TS2 - ISO/TS 16949:2002 (2nd edition)

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of right now.

Good idea Trolle, :agree:

I'll have to admit that I often fall victim to this abbreviation plague myself, sometimes by not understanding and more often by excessive use of abbreviations on my own part.

BTW, we could always get our own back by reverting to our native Swedish.. (LMAO), but IMO the inevitable pay-back could be a bit of a PIA... ROFLMAO. FYI, the only current Cove dweller (besides the two of us) who has ever displayed any knowledge of Swedish is Kevin Mader... So I guess the audience would be a bit limited... I guess we'll have to stick to the Queens English. Oooops. I mean American English (whatever that is)

(Taking cover FWIW)

/Claes :biglaugh:

CarolX

links to other threads

Search is a beautiful thing

internet acronyms

go here

quality and manufacturing acronyms

go here

and for those that want to search more

go here

CarolX

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Claes Gefvenberg said:
Good idea Trolle, :agree:
BTW, we could always get our own back by reverting to our native Swedish..
I visited Sweden a few years ago on business and found that I could figure out most of the signs and things -- reading Swedish seemed somewhat intuitive for English speakers. But I could NEVER follow a conversation in Swedish! One thing I did learn is to avoid the lutefisk. Yecch! :bonk:

I second the motion from the gentleman from the East Coast.

Originally posted by Mike S.
---X---One thing I did learn is to avoid the lutefisk. Yecch! :bonk:

And you learned that right quick, I guess? Well done. That's one dish I stay away from too... Yuck! :-x

But I think I may have derailed this topic... Any more abbreviations for Trolles list? Btw (oh, there I go again), I was rather expecting a question about one of the abbreviations I used in my previous post...

/Claes

I

ISO Cheesy

(Taking cover FWIW)

/Claes :biglaugh: [/B][/QUOTE]

?? hua ??.... Please explain FUSP (For Us Slow People)

This use to be a PIA for me …whenever I start with a new company takes a good 3 months to learn the new terms and acronyms. Now the first thing I do when I go to a new company is make a list of TA’s (terms and acronyms) and include this list as a handout whenever I do my new hire orientation so others don’t have to go through what I did. I also incorporated a paragraph in the procedure template for this reason. I hate it when I see a procedure that has acronyms throughout and no definitions for them.

Here are a few of my QMS related ones:

DCR = Document Change Request
ICAR = Internal Corrective Action
BOM = Build of Material
TCS = Total Customer Satisfaction
RCCA = Root Cause / Corrective Action

The list can go on forever…it just depends on what company your working for at the time. As far as the Internet ones?... Just now learning from this forum.
:confused:

Top Bottom