Karma (Reputation), Chat Rooms and Some Other Contentious Chat

Reputation (Karma) Feature - Yea or Nay?

• Total voters

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
User Reputations is a new feature of the forums software. It is based upon a post system. I've attached 3 pictures to show the buttons (first one shows where, at the bottom of each post, the button to 'Complement' someone for a post is and the 'reputation' (So far as I can see it'll be green or red) is displayed, where you can see who 'Applauded' you and who was 'less than kind' (Your UserCP = User Control Panel) as well as the current settings.

Just some thoughts. It would really be nice if folks used the feature from time to time. Maybe in 6 months or a year we can look back and see who has the most points and come up with some kind of recognition.

Also see Poster of the year award

12 July 2003: Added a 4th picture. It's the 'reputation settings'.

Attachments

• Reputation.png
    Reputation.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 295
  • UserCP-1.png
    UserCP-1.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Reputation_settings.jpg
    Reputation_settings.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Reputation Key.jpg
    Reputation Key.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 427

Marc

Leader
Claes Gefvenberg said:
Oh, I'm using it... We have lots of people deserving recognition.

Just one thing: The attachments? I can't find them? I tried both Explorer and Opera browsers...

/Claes
You should see 3 thumbnails in my post. Click on each one at a time.

If you can see them in that thread but you can't see them in this post let me know. I could have a permissions error to fix.

Marc

Leader
I would like folks to take a quick read of this thread:

So how does Karma work, anyway?

I think it's a neat idea (Karma = Reputation) but there are drawbacks.

Thus, the addition of the poll.

Note: In part to check this new 'feature', I've set this poll to show who voted and how they voted. I'm sure no one will care here if it shows how you voted on an issue as simple as this.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I think it's OK to have a rating system, but if someone gives a bad rating, there's the potential they may give a bad one back in retaliation.

Anybody who's been around the forums for a while has probably already formed some opinions about other members. I don't think a rating system will change that. It would be nice to give people kudos if they post something really good though...

D

db

Voted to dump it

I voted to dump it just to play around a bit. I noticed that when I viewed the results (without voting), it showed who voted where. When I voted, the results posted, but not who voted how.

As far as the reputation, I noticed I could not add any positive things about myself (once again, just checking). I'm not sure how useful it is. We kinda get the idea from reading posts, and if I'm doing battle with someone else, that too would show up in the posts. Like many here, I really don't care about my reputation (as far as whether anyone "likes" me). I'm more concerned about whether I'm giving "good" information in the threads (except in the fishing, Roadkill and Religion threads-- in those, I'm mostly just spouting off anyway).

E

energy

They don't want a repeat!!!

howste said:
I think it's OK to have a rating system, but if someone gives a bad rating, there's the potential they may give a bad one back in retaliation.

Anybody who's been around the forums for a while has probably already formed some opinions about other members. I don't think a rating system will change that. It would be nice to give people kudos if they post something really good though...

This is supposed/designed to filter out those low level, transparent, honest members who have risen to the level of respect granted by those that saw something different than what it is "supposed" to be. Get it? We don't want a repeat of 2002 where some "dual personality" type managed to garner the Lion's share of a silly poll that wasn't intended to turn out that way. So, let's qualify-quantify the reasons for supporting a member that you respect, to justify and legitimize a choice that has been totally unexplainable to some. Know why? You can get dizzy looking down! I love it! :vfunny: :smokin:

G

Greg B

Marc,

As I stated in the other thread, I like the idea. I was just using it in another thread and it told me I had to share the Kharma around. I was trying to give it to a person that I had already given it to for another post on a different thread a fw days ago. What gives? :confused:

Greg B

Marc

Leader
Greg B said:
Marc,

As I stated in the other thread, I like the idea.
So far I really like it. Including showing who gave Karma and their comments. I got a couple of 'bad' ones. No big deal, but they are the only 2 which there was no comment. I expect good and bad. I sorta figure if someone wants to cast a negative 'Karma' and doesn't want to be listed, hey - just don't do it. I'd like people to see when they're appreciated and this is, I believe, a way to do it.
I was just using it in another thread and it told me I had to share the Kharma around. I was trying to give it to a person that I had already given it to for another post on a different thread a fw days ago. What gives? :confused:

Greg B
How does it work? Go to the first post in this thread. Click on the third attachment thumbnail. It explodes and shows the settings I see. Take a look through the settings and make suggestions. That's why I posted it. Claes looked at the settings in another thread, but I've changed them a bit - what is posted is what is now set.

Two weird things you are experiencing are the last 2:

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period?

Reputation User Spread
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again?

Just take a look and as I said I'm open to suggestions.

I guess I could allow folks to hide their 'Reputation' but I - well, I'm tempted to keep it forced enabled. If I could enable it to either fully include or exclude for each individual user (if you turn yours off you can't give or receive 'Karma'.

Top Bottom