Software Unit Acceptance Criteria (5.5.4)

cwilburn

Starting to get Involved
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have examples of acceptance criteria for the items listed in 5.5.4?

My initial thought is to create a checklist to be used during code review, and include items like, "have all variables been initialized?" and "have boundary conditions been handled correctly?"

I know that I could also use static analysis tools too...saying something like "when using tool X, no warning or errors related to memory management are found"

What other ways are there to meet this requirement?

Thanks,
Cathy

QAengineer13

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have examples of acceptance criteria for the items listed in 5.5.4?

My initial thought is to create a checklist to be used during code review, and include items like, "have all variables been initialized?" and "have boundary conditions been handled correctly?"

I know that I could also use static analysis tools too...saying something like "when using tool X, no warning or errors related to memory management are found"

What other ways are there to meet this requirement?

Thanks,
Cathy
Hi Cathy,

My 2c's, just ensure that whatever method you choose to demonstrate Acceptance criteria it needs to be objective and supported by a technical evidence.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
First off, that (additional software unit acceptance criteria) is only required for class C so I presume you are developing class C software. Thus, the intent is to take a "deeper dive" at the unit level to help ensure safety.

The standard itself lists some options:
a) proper event sequence;
b) data and control flow;
c) planned resource allocation;
d) fault handling (error definition, isolation, and recovery);
e) initialization of variables;
f) self-diagnostics;
g) memory management and memory overflows; and
h) boundary conditions.

What are your "baseline" acceptance criteria (i.e., for both class B and C)? Ours, for example, are code reviews and static analysis similar to what you described. When we are working on class C software, then we apply any of the above, as applicable for the units, as additional.

Top Bottom