ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it?

Is taking the ASQ Supplier Quality Professional program worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

peterdiaz

I just recently got back into a quality role after 4 1/2 years working in an Operations related capacity for a company that was non ISO. I accepted a new role as Quality Supplier Manager for a new company.

My previous quality background was AS9100 related and includes taking the first company I worked for from ISO9001 to AS9100. In that role I dealt with managing supplier quality for almost five years including supplier audits, supplier score cards, ASL, so on and so forth. I was there a total of 12 1/2 years and worked in production and quality. The second company I worked at for 5 1/2 years was non ISO non regulated. I implemented an ISO compliant system, but once I transitioned into Operations, upper management decided to suspend the QMS and go with a more laxed system. The new company I work for is in the process of implementing a QMS and has brought me on as the Supplier Quality Manager. They want me to build the system from soup to nuts and manage it once implemented.

The reason I give my background is to help determine is taking the new ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional program worth it? I'm trying to find as much material as I can about it on line, but it is somewhat vague and generic. What I am trying to figure out is, is there any new and cutting edge material in the program that would benefit me after being out of the supplier quality game so to speak for 5 1/2 years. If so what would be the selling points for upper management as far as the benefits go? Any info or insight is appreciated.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Like all of the ASQ certifications, it's an independent certification intended to show that you know what you're doing in the field. I would say that it at least shows that you're familiar enough with the body of knowledge that you can pass the test.

In my opinion, there is probably nothing new and exciting. The certifications are generally based on tried and established quality principles and practices. The question about whether you'll learn things that you don't already know is a question that only you can answer. I would suggest that you look at the ASQ body of knowledge for it if you haven't already. If there are things listed that you aren't familiar with, then you could buy one of the books from ASQ or the Quality Council of Indiana or somewhere else. It's up to you if you want to take a prep class or take the exam depending on what your goal is. I find that having the certification is useful on your resume, but getting a certification while you're already on the job probably won't get you a raise. ;)

Top Bottom