ANSI-Y14.5M vs. ASME-Y14.5M - Does an ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 document actually exist?

M

Micronus

I’m confused, Does an ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 document actually exist? I ordered a couple recently and got ASME-Y14.5M-1994 specifications. I was confident that they were, in fact, identical standards.

However, we use Pro/Engineer. When the GD&T tolerance style to ANSI the datums are the old [-A-] style. When set to ASME I get what I believe is the correct [A] style datums.

Are these two standards equivalent – or am I out to lunch?

-OO-

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: ANSI-Y14.5M vs ASME-Y14.5M

Hello AxisTool,

ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 does not exist. It is ASME Y14.5M-1994.
The previous standard was called ANSI Y14.5M-1982.

Various changes were implemented including the "new" ISO datum feature symbol (looks like a traffic symbol....)

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

A

Ahoffman

One of my customers is still requiring the use of ANSI Y 14.5M-1982. I cannot locate a this version anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a copy? I do have a copy of ASME Y14.5M-1994.

thanks!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

One of my customers is still requiring the use of ANSI Y 14.5M-1982. I cannot locate a this version anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a copy? I do have a copy of ASME Y14.5M-1994.

thanks!

Your Customer is behind times! Have you discussed this issue during the contract review phase?

Do your Customer's drawings actually cite the 1982 version as the interpretive GD&T Standard? If yes, then you do not have a choice.

You may ask your customer to borrow their copy...;) they may change their mind quickly...

Stijloor.

E

e006823

thanks!

I had a similar situation last year, customer unwilling to change the TDP. The superseded versions was available through ANSI and ASME if i recall correctly.

L

LisaDesigner

ASME Y14.5M-1994 actually does exist and I have been using it for years. I would attach a pdf of my title page but it is asking for a url of the image and not sure how to do that. But it definitely exists!

Top Bottom