The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Interviews?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
company culture, interviews and interview questions, safety management system, surveys (general), assessment to a standard, safety (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 8th March 2011, 09:01 AM
aba2304

Total Posts: 4
Please Help! Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Interviews?

I was not really sure where to put my Question, I hope it's OK here.

I am asked to assess our Company Safety Culture. I know I can do Observations and Surveys and Interviews. The Observation part is clear but what should I ask for or how should I structure the surveys and Interviews?

How do you do Safety Culture Assessments - what do you measure? Any eamples?

Thanks for any und every answer!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 8th March 2011, 10:11 AM
SteelMaiden

Total Posts: 4,196
Re: Saefty Culture Assessment

Some questions:
Who is asking you to do this?
What is your role in the company?

Why do I ask? It just seems as though if a manager is asking you to do this it would appear that the safety culture is not that important to your company. Wouldn't management know what your safety culture is?

Or, is management attempting to find out if the hourly folk are truly buying into your program? First thing, imho, would be to look at your injury and illness numbers. Where to they fit with the rest of your industry? Then, look at one of the safety program/certifications that are out there. There is the Z10, BS18000, various state and federal OSHA VPP(STAR) programs. Get yourself a copy of one of them and then start looking to see how close you come to meeting it.

Do you have a safety team? (my definition of this is mostly regular workers, feeding information into your higher level management safety committee) Are they active?

It doesn't take a lot to "assess the safety culture", what I'd be asking is what their definition of safety culture assessment is.
Thank You to SteelMaiden for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 9th March 2011, 08:05 AM
Steve Prevette

Total Posts: 2,513
Re: Company Safety Culture Assessment

I had very good results from use of an employee survey at the Department of Energy Hanford Site. Originally 15 questions were developed (3 for each of the 5 OSHA Voluntary Protection Program Tenets) and two were added over the years. I used the technique at http://www.efcog.org/wg/esh_es/Stati...y_Analysis.pdf to analyze the results. All employees were offered the survey during their annual employee refresher training and we had return rates of 75 to 80% on the survey. The survey was very helpful in gaging safety culture and employee morale.
Thank You to Steve Prevette for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 9th May 2012, 02:33 PM
DanteCaspian

Total Posts: 222

The first step is to be a certified safety rep. with the proper accredited training program to meet best business practice and local laws. Such essential training will teach all of what you need to know and are asking here.
  Post Number #5  
Old 10th May 2012, 11:40 AM
palmer

Total Posts: 208
Re: Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Intervie

I have attached a behavioral safety audit and an employee safety survey. The audit is from a company I used to work for that is no longer open. The survey is from the same company.

I am currently a safety supervisor for my company and was heavily involved in safety at the other.

I do not have a degree or training. I have over 30 years of manufacturing experience at all levels. You don't necessarily need training if you have experience in the environment and do a some research as time goes on.

You can get into all sorts of safety issues in mfg. The company has to have a top down approach. However management engages safety is how employees will engage it.

I've been in harsh safety environments where if you were caught not wearing PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) you were given a week off without pay and the 2nd offense you lost your job.

I've also been lax safety environments where shortcuts are taken in the name of production and not employee safety.

A good company is in the middle. If you have any influence, you need to steer your company in that direction but it comes from the top......

I hope these help.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc Behavioral Safety Audit Form.doc (55.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: doc Employee Safety Survey.doc (84.0 KB, 186 views)
Thanks to palmer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 19th June 2013, 09:35 AM
inovacast

Total Posts: 1
Re: Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Intervie

It has been observed at the OSHA VPP sites and confirmed by independent research that developing strong safety cultures have the single greatest impact on accident reduction of any process. It is for this single reason that developing these cultures should be top priority for all managers and supervisors.
Thanks to inovacast for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 19th June 2013, 09:38 AM
Steve Prevette

Total Posts: 2,513

We are about to embark on a new "Safety Conscious Work Environment" survey with several other contractors and the government at my worksite.
  Post Number #8  
Old 19th June 2013, 07:30 PM
kgott

Total Posts: 1,027

I like Steve Prevette's answers but I've never really understood the safety climate/culture survey intentions. To my way of thinking, if management want to know this, its for the wrong reasons.

If management put more effort into implementing and continously improving the safety management system looking upon the work force as the customers of the safety management system, they would get the culture they want as a by-product.

I cant help but think that safety culture surveys are linked to this horrible thing called behavior based safety.

http://www.mocalinc.com/sitebuilderc...asedsafety.pdf

After working in safety for 20 years I have become a big fan of this article and its author.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering