The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place?

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
inspection (general), employees (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 27th January 2011, 05:41 AM
ignatiuswong

Total Posts: 55
Please Help! How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place?

Dear Cove,

it's been a long time ago since my last post.
i need your help to share me some of your organization experiences.

around last year i've got a lot of claim from customer,
after then i just doing some improvement --> Man, Machine, Method, Material and else.

but i just know that all improvements that i do is useless..
claim increased. and now i realized the problem is Behaviour.

now what i do is just doing some 100% check before delivery / shipment to customer, and guess what i've got ?
i still found some NC parts.

and the thing that shocked me was the production operator told me that the man that i instructed to do 100% inspection check sabotaged this NC.

my question is how operator have that kind perception.

around 2 month ago, all operator just been trained about how to change behaviour - seminar, but until now not seen any improvement.

what do you think cove ?

Regards

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 27th January 2011, 05:53 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 5,975
Re: Behaviour problem ?

Welcome back

This issue is very dangerous and could be best resolved by involving the senior management. If required, some disciplinary action may be required.

Integrity, Discipline are the topmost behaviors to be demonstarted across the organization.
Thanks to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 27th January 2011, 06:05 AM
harry

Total Posts: 6,283

We like to talk about root cause analysis in our daily work but it is as applicable in our daily life including situations like this. I supposed, my first question would be - have you done a root cause analysis.

Pointing fingers at employees/operators is a favorite response but a very weak one because you would find it difficult to answer the next question - if he/she is that bad, why did you employ him/her and suddenly you'll find that the ball is now in your own court!
Thanks to harry for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 27th January 2011, 06:22 AM
ignatiuswong

Total Posts: 55

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ajit Basrur View Post

Welcome back

This issue is very dangerous and could be best resolved by involving the senior management. If required, some disciplinary action may be required.

Integrity, Discipline are the topmost behaviors to be demonstarted across the organization.
Thanks Ajit,

Currently Top Management already knew about this issues,
but it's such a curse, company don't have that kind courages to lay off them
company should pay a lot of compensation for it.

so all back to us.. Training.. training.. and training..

Dear Harry.

we always conduct root cause analysis for every single problem,
customer required it, but customer not accepted all problem came from Man..
but actually problem came from MAN.
SOP, WI, Control Plan, P-FMEA just reviewed but it's look perfect..

Regards,
  Post Number #5  
Old 27th January 2011, 08:54 AM
AgnieszkaSz

Total Posts: 76
Re: How to deal with Behaviour Problem in the work place?

There is a simple and relatively mild tool - small compensation for quality - operator without mistakes detected in QC (or up to some amount) receive it; beyond the threshold - they don't.
I also recall a very brutal idea in a similar case - we intended to introduce a Burn-All test for some sub-component (when assembled OK, the product would be intact), with threat to charge the operator with the cost of scrapped material. Mind you, it was only an idea, was never implemented, but even this has helped.
Isn't any Poka-Yoke possible?
Thanks to AgnieszkaSz for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 27th January 2011, 09:43 AM
tamale

Total Posts: 158

Perhaps you should use a quality approach applied to your company's culture.

In other words, what is it in the company culture that permits behavioral issues?

You mention behavior training, was top management also trained?

Over here there is a saying that states « ca va comme c'est mené» witch is French basically for « things go as they are led»

Behavioral issues are complex and often difficult to resolve. But are most often related to top management's way of dealing with employee concerns.It is important to treat them rapidly because they can spread like a virus.

It is also possible that you have a couple of bad apples in your basket. In that case ask yourself the same type of question but pointed toward the employees. Discipline should not be discounted.

You will find some excellent tools on this link:

http://changingminds.org/index.htm

Good luck !

Tamale
Thank You to tamale for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 27th January 2011, 10:35 AM
BradM

Total Posts: 5,894

Hello Ignatius!
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ignatiuswong View Post

around last year i've got a lot of claim from customer,
after then i just doing some improvement --> Man, Machine, Method, Material and else.
OK, so your customer alerted you of a failure. And I assume at this point you performed some type of failure analysis to determine what went wrong. You then performed the necessary steps to alleviate the problem.
Quote:
but i just know that all improvements that i do is useless..
claim increased. and now i realized the problem is Behaviour.
OK, let's set aside behaviour for the moment. I would submit that if your original Root Cause not only reduced claims, but increased claims, then you did not find the problem. The challenge: find out what process problems exist, outside of the behavior of the worker.

Quote:
now what i do is just doing some 100% check before delivery / shipment to customer, and guess what i've got ?
i still found some NC parts.
Again, you have not really located the reason for the failures, outside of behavior.

Quote:
and the thing that shocked me was the production operator told me that the man that i instructed to do 100% inspection check sabotaged this NC.
How do you know you can implicitly trust the production operator? The inspector may be correctly doing his/her job; you just don't know. This is why I would suggest keeping behavior, feelings, hearsay, etc. out of the equation.

#1 Your product is failing at inspection, or it is not.
#2 If it is failing, find in your process what is contributing to the failure.

Quote:
Around 2 month ago, all operator just been trained about how to change behaviour - seminar, but until now not seen any improvement.
Ok, good, but how do you really know there is a behavior problem, and that the training given, was effective for dealing with behavior issues, if they even existed? I've seen some "Awareness Training" given before, that gave me a far worse attitude, than what I had before the training.

I would suggest your main focus (depending on your job description) should be assuring failed product is not going out the door. If the inspector is failing good product, that should be fairly easy to test. If management is not going to discipline the bad apples, tell them to hire another good apple. Pull an additional sample, and have another inspector check the lots. If you get vastly different result between the inspectors, then you have evidence that more training/ improved inspection techniques are required.

Also, are you tracking the costs of these notifications from the customers? Are you tracking how much is being wasted on failed product and such?

The universal language of money tends to be well understood by management. Having good numbers is always a plus.
Thank You to BradM for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 5th April 2011, 09:25 AM
Skins

Total Posts: 5

How much money does the operator make?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering