ISO 9001:2015 vs. FAA, CASA, PNG 173 Requirements

A

Ace

General question - Did ISO consider how the 2015 changes would affect other regulatory (i.e..FAA, CASA, PNG 173, etc..) requirements? Example - 2015 will not require a Quality Manual. The regulatory agencies listed above still require a manual that addresses how Quality will be implemented. :frust:

AndyN

Moved On
Thread moved to a more appropriate sub-forum dealing with either the 2015 version. :agree1:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
For those of us following along:

CASA = ?
PNG 173 = ?

Edit add. This appears to be aviation so I may move this thread to that forum and leave a redirect here.

Last edited:
A

Ace

CASA = Civil Aviation Safety Authority

PNG 173 = Papua New Guinea Civil Aviation Rules Part 173

AndyN

Moved On
General question - Did ISO consider how the 2015 changes would affect other regulatory (i.e..FAA, CASA, PNG 173, etc..) requirements? Example - 2015 will not require a Quality Manual. The regulatory agencies listed above still require a manual that addresses how Quality will be implemented. :frust:

The technical committees will probably have considered this, however, since it's likely to be a customer requirement in many industries - and the standard doesn't prohibit a QM being created - you will want to do whatever satisfies the customer...whether the standard specifically says anything about a manual or not.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

It was definitely considered - but of course, keep in mind, ISO is not a regulation - it's adopted as part of a business model.

I'm in Canada, and we manufacture aircraft. We have our QMS certified to the AS9100C standard, and our regulation that we follow (among others) is the Canadian Aviation Regulation 561 - Approved Manufacturers. It requires a manual with very specific content.

So....we have a manual and will continue to have one after the release of the new standard.

AEOS_QA

Involved In Discussions
Hi Not sure about PNG but CASA (Part 145) and also EASA require a detailed Maintenance Organisation Exposition (MOE) in a very specific format to satisfy their requirements and formal approval.
It includes a Section detailing the Quality System in place.

Phil

Jim G

Involved In Discussions
Agree with Mikishots. Our QMS is also certified to AS9100C standard, however to quote our EASA auditor, "We (UKCAA) don't recognise ISO whilst auditing, we audit against the applicable EASA regulations".

In the aerospace industry, we tend to have a one size fits all QMS which will still require an MOE and specific EASA approved Quality Manual and procedures.

D

Del Foster

Eliminating the requirement for a quality manual does not mean an organization should not or can not have one. Most quality manuals that I have seen merely restate the requirements and provide a very weak description of the "requirements" for scope, exclusions and description of process interactions that provide very little value for the organization or registration auditors. The primary reason for a quality manual (level 1) and most of the level 2 implementing documents are for information and training. If instead of restating the clause by clause requirements of the standard in the quality manual provide a realistic policy statement (overall intention and direction) regarding the organization's approach to managing those requirements. This highest level policy direction can then be deployed through the lower level documents which answer the questions what, why, who, when, where and how through a series of process diagrams and procedural details that can be used by instructors (process leaders) to train, operators to perform, auditors to assess and produce the records to demonstrate compliance. The old acronym, TQM becomes TCM and total Compliance management can be realized. Top down policy deployment becomes a reality.

K

K.M.MOORTHI

Hi everyone.
We are in ISO 9001:2008 now our organisation wants to move on to ISO 9001:2015
Anyone suggest the road map for that.
thanks in advance.

Top Bottom