Internal Audit Corrective Action Request Form

Jan91168

Registered Visitor
During our last surveillance audit the auditor noted on his report the following:

"Internal audit deviations are documented on an Internal Audit Corrective Action Request Form. This form does not follow a generally accepted format for root cause and corrective action. e.g. 8D"

I have attached our internal audit form used when internal deviations are found which does state that a 5-why problem solving method be followed when determining root cause and corrective/preventive action.

I have not read where I am required use a perticular problem solving method, just as long as the method used targets the root cause and corrects and prevents the problem found from re-occuring.

We our a small company which has down-sized some in the last year and most departments now only have 1 person. e.g. Purchasing, Quality, shipping/receiving etc. so the report is issued to that individual and most nonconformances found do not require a team problem solving approach where an 8D format may be more useful. Most are corrected by a procedure change do to take-over responsibilities.

We utilize the 8D format for responding to customer complaints and issuing them to our suppliers and it works fine becuase thats usually more than 1 department involved in problem solving.

We do address trends, observations, conclusions/recommendations and analysis of audit results on a seperate form for each audit conducted.

Please comment on the attached form. I would like to know if this is an acceptable format or if theres room for improvement that anyone can recommend. :thanx:

We are certified to QS9000.

Attachments

• INTERNAL AUDIT CORRECTIVE ACTION REQEST05.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,474

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Jan91168 said:
During our last surveillance audit the auditor noted on his report the following:

"Internal audit deviations are documented on an Internal Audit Corrective Action Request Form. This form does not follow a generally accepted format for root cause and corrective action. e.g. 8D"

I have attached our internal audit form used when internal deviations are found which does state that a 5-why problem solving method be followed when determining root cause and corrective/preventive action.

I have not read where I am required use a perticular problem solving method, just as long as the method used targets the root cause and corrects and prevents the problem found from re-occuring.

We our a small company which has down-sized some in the last year and most departments now only have 1 person. e.g. Purchasing, Quality, shipping/receiving etc. so the report is issued to that individual and most nonconformances found do not require a team problem solving approach where an 8D format may be more useful. Most are corrected by a procedure change do to take-over responsibilities.

We utilize the 8D format for responding to customer complaints and issuing them to our suppliers and it works fine becuase thats usually more than 1 department involved in problem solving.

We do address trends, observations, conclusions/recommendations and analysis of audit results on a seperate form for each audit conducted.

Please comment on the attached form. I would like to know if this is an acceptable format or if theres room for improvement that anyone can recommend. :thanx:

Other than a minor typo (CORRECTIVE/PREVENTICE ACTION)
I don't see anything wrong with your approach. I'd have to see how someone actually completes this form to make any suggestions about training (if any) on how to complete the form.

In the words of many Cove visitors, I would ask your auditor and his manager to "show me the shall" to substantiate the auditor's comment.

My memory of QS9000 may be vague, but I do not recall the use of the term "8D" as a requirement anywhere - I would be pleased to see a citation if anyone has one.

"generally accepted format" is certainly NOT a citation to a clause of QS9000, is it?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Wes Bucey said:
Other than a minor typo (CORRECTIVE/PREVENTICE ACTION)
I don't see anything wrong with your approach. I'd have to see how someone actually completes this form to make any suggestions about training (if any) on how to complete the form.

In the words of many Cove visitors, I would ask your auditor and his manager to "show me the shall" to substantiate the auditor's comment.

My memory of QS9000 may be vague, but I do not recall the use of the term "8D" as a requirement anywhere - I would be pleased to see a citation if anyone has one.

"generally accepted format" is certainly NOT a citation to a clause of QS9000, is it?
QS 9000 4.14.1.1 says in part:
A supplier shall use disciplined problem solving methods when an internal or external nonconformance to specification or requirement occurs.
I'm guessing this is what the auditor would hang his hat on. I still think that the reference on the form to "5 Whys" should be enough, if there's evidence that it happens each time.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Jan91168 said:

I don't see any reason why this form would not meet ISO, QS and TS requirmeents for internal audits. I would not be too locked in to the 5 why's, as there are times when other tools are more useful. But there is no problem with this. 8D's are only required externally by certain customers.

Top Bottom