Quality Plan template needed - Small machine shop

J

jlhutt

Does anyone have a good template for a quality plan? I've used control plans in the past with automotive, but I am now working in a small machine shop where things are somewhat different. We don't produce the same products over and over again, sometimes only once and it seems to me there should be a easy way to handle these, any ideas?

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Quality Plans

The best kind of quality plan I've seen in your situation is one where it is made up of various existing procedures and work instructions - often used previously on a similar product - and with a specific section on the unique situations for the particular product. To explain further;

You may select the normal receiving inspection process, but since one supplier is new to the company, the quality plan will specify what level/type of inspections will be performed at receiving and who is to be notified in the event of a reject etc. Same for in-process inspection etc.

Similarly, the organization for this one product may include only certain members of staff - a designer, a production engineer, a quality engineer, a buyer etc. So the quality plan will outline their specific roles and responsibilities etc.

Think of it as being a binder of the standard processes, instructions etc. under tabs, with a section which defines the specifics for the individual product/project etc.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

For an electronics jobshop I have developed process FMEA and control plan based on standard processes, such as hand soldering, ESD control, wire stripping/crimping, torquing fasteners, testing, final inspection. These processes apply to almost all their products.

In your situation there are processes that are common amongst all or most of your products.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Does anyone have a good template for a quality plan? I've used control plans in the past with automotive, but I am now working in a small machine shop where things are somewhat different. We don't produce the same products over and over again, sometimes only once and it seems to me there should be a easy way to handle these, any ideas?

If the plans in place when in the Automotive side worked, use the same format for a machine shop. There are still basic requirements that need to be addressed modified the ones you have used, in my opinion.

O

Orellanadavid1

For an electronics jobshop I have developed process FMEA and control plan based on standard processes, such as hand soldering, ESD control, wire stripping/crimping, torquing fasteners, testing, final inspection. These processes apply to almost all their products.

In your situation there are processes that are common amongst all or most of your products.
Hello would you be willing to share some example/templates of what you have created for the electronic job shop? I just started with a company and am looking at implementing something similar and would like to get a baseline idea. Thanks

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Does anyone have a good template for a quality plan?

...any ideas?

I would look at what you really do. Document that in a simple flowchart. Identify gaps, plan how to fill the gaps, and implement. Audit the process. Plan-Do-Check-Act.

Starting with something 'off the shelf' and asking people stuck in their ways to do it is not a recipe for success, IMO.

Top Bottom