Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Is order acknowledgement enough?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
order processing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 6th March 2018, 04:03 PM
jsoar

Total Posts: 4
Question Is order acknowledgement enough?

Hello All,

As a newer individual to a company I'm trying to address many areas of the QMS that impact the company overall. I'm currently in a situation where the company I work for has done a poor job with contract review for many years. I'm just now getting them to properly conduct contract review and the thought of rejecting a P.O because they do not match a quote is almost causing hysterics within the sales department.

A counter to rejecting the quote for amendment was that the order acknowledgement sent to the customer would contain the "exceptions" we're taking. I have an issue with this because its essentially passing the sales function onto the customer to acknowledge our acknowledgement letter.

Am I wrong in this thinking? Am I not understanding the ISO standard correctly or applying it too literally?

(We are ISO 9001:2015)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 6th March 2018, 04:21 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,405
Re: Is order acknowledgement enough?

"rejecting a P.O because they do not match a quote"

What does this mean? Is it a price and delivery issue? Or something bigger?
  Post Number #3  
Old 6th March 2018, 04:25 PM
jsoar

Total Posts: 4

Sorry...

Asking the customer to send a revised PO that matches the quote.

The customer is asking for the product to comply with an ASTM spec (and all mechanical requirements listed under this spec). Our quote was specific and stated that the material would only comply with the chemistry called out on the same ASTM spec.
  Post Number #4  
Old 6th March 2018, 04:34 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,018

Lots of ways to handle this...two that I've used with good success:

1. for day to day, we don't ever expect a problem and even if there is one it will be no big deal anyway.

- For this, I have my terms of sale written on the order acknowledgement with the clause "These terms supersede any conflicting terms in the referenced purchase order". I've always just put that kind of clause right in the page footer for acceptance, email, quotes and Invoices. Often just a web address to the website where the full T&C are stated.
- Now if there is an issue later, both sides have said "Our terms rule" and you're left nowhere and can reasonably discuss it and come to a conclusion...This same clause should also be in the boilerplate of your quote in the first place.
- You demand net30dys, they demand net60dys...even if they agree to net30, you won't see that check for two months...its just life.

2. For the serious, large $$ or known combative customer (read "automotive, aerospace or government"):

- Call them and work it out PRIOR to sending order acceptance.
- The concept of fast turnaround on acknowledgement presupposes that the PO terms are always reasonable...and they rarely are. (See the thread on Terms and Conditions on this forum).

Either way...I would bounce it off of house counsel if that is an option.

Sales is known for an "It'll all work out anyway" attitude...that's how they stay sane.
That's why they aren't the ones you trust to do contract review. They'll likely never be on board with it...I've never bothered trying.
Thanks to Ninja for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 6th March 2018, 04:35 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,018

Two posts went out before mine...
For the ASTM reference...I would get it in writing that your quoted method is OK...it's a #2 item.
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th March 2018, 04:57 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,346

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jsoar View Post

Sorry...

Asking the customer to send a revised PO that matches the quote.

The customer is asking for the product to comply with an ASTM spec (and all mechanical requirements listed under this spec). Our quote was specific and stated that the material would only comply with the chemistry called out on the same ASTM spec.
There are two aspects to be considered:

the legal one and
the customer satisfaction aspect.

The legal one, in case of a dispute, can get messy in no time and it would always behoove you to get a revised PO matching the quote.

From a customer satisfaction point of view, as long as there is evidence that both parties understand what is being provided and agree on, an email from the customer would suffice, in my view.

But, in general, the legal risks are much larger than the dissatisfaction risks.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th March 2018, 05:25 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,405

Legally there is a whole body of law that will handle the disputes between the various forms -- po's and acknowledgments. You can ask legal counsel for an opinion.

As for the ASTM specification, I think taking exception to it on the acknowledgement is fine. It is consistent with the quote. Most of our quote/acknowledgments are subject to a design review anyway where we will hammer out these issues.

What kind of process is it? I am guessing you're changing the mechanical aspects of the material. Sounds like your customer is asking for an impossibility.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >