The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
non-normal data distribution

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 13th March 2018, 01:08 PM
Miner

Total Posts: 4,335
Look! Re: Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected

I agree with Bob. That has been my experience also. The degree of sawtooth depends on a lot of variables (e.g., controller, inertia of the system being controlled, etc.).
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 13th March 2018, 01:19 PM
BradM

Total Posts: 6,015
Re: Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected

It all depends....

I have seen perfectly tuned systems. If the rate is set properly, it should anticipate the rate of change and adjust accordingly. There are many applications ( aerospace, aluminum treating +/5 F) where there can be any overshoot.

Now... here's the thing... it also depends on the sensitivity of the probe and its location. They may have an MGO sheathed probe which is not as sensitive.
The recorder is connected to a wire thermocouple which is much more sensitive.
The controller can still be adjusted to remove a lot of the swing.

Also, i will get completely different results using 22awg versus 16awg thermocouples.

So the type of distraction can end up being a lot of things, depending on the type of control error.
  Post Number #11  
Old 13th March 2018, 03:50 PM
bobdoering

Total Posts: 4,090
Re: Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected

Exactly - the ability to see process change is based on the resolution of the measuring instrument (GAGE R%R to %PV). Enough resolution will definitely see sawtooth...its physics. You would have to have a perfectly synced load to energy application to have it on...constantly...and not have it rise in temperature. Pretty rare, I would say.

Also, remember, ramp up and ramp down are special causes, and do not relate to the capability, only the steady state.
  Post Number #12  
Old 13th March 2018, 04:50 PM
BradM

Total Posts: 6,015

I have a temperature controller. If I have it tuned properly, it's not going to swing; or at least not to a significant level.

Ramp up is also affected by the PID settings. The point at which the controller starts throttling back (and at what percent) also depends on the PID.

Bottom line, if your process equipment is not a nice line, including a smooth ramp up with no overshoot, the controller needs adjustment.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >