The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Calibration Frequency (Interval)
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Calibration Interval based on Usage - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
calibration (general topics), calibration interval (aka frequency)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 14th February 2014, 03:09 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 25,785
Re: Calibration Interval based on Usage

Also see: Calibration Frequency for Rarely Used Gages

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 14th February 2014, 03:27 PM
normzone

Total Posts: 636

An interesting challenge, and cases can be made for differing approaches.

In a previous lifetime, I worked with a process equipment manufacturer whose product line went back the better part of a century.

I inspected new electronic components and parts made from wood ordered against sixty year old drawings.

There was a bank of vernier and digital measurement tools - some were calibrated every year, some never.

There was a concealed vault of hundreds of acme thread gages that were antiques. Some saw use once every decade or three.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 14th February 2014, 04:53 PM
Helmut Jilling

Total Posts: 4,365

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by normzone View Post

An interesting challenge, and cases can be made for differing approaches.

In a previous lifetime, I worked with a process equipment manufacturer whose product line went back the better part of a century.

I inspected new electronic components and parts made from wood ordered against sixty year old drawings.

There was a bank of vernier and digital measurement tools - some were calibrated every year, some never.

There was a concealed vault of hundreds of acme thread gages that were antiques. Some saw use once every decade or three.
if you use the gage, and expect the results of the gage reading to be usable information, the gage must be verified, even if it is 100 yrs old. If it is not known to be accurate, how can you use the results. Especially if it is 100 yrs old. If the results do not have to be accurate, take the reading with your eyes closed....what kind of reading would not have to be accurate results.
  Post Number #12  
Old 17th February 2014, 11:28 AM
drgnrider

Total Posts: 167

To start with, this is what I am trying to do, an "x-days/y-uses" system.

From what I have seen it's all an "educated guess"! If the calibration is 3-months, and it always passes, about how many uses do you figure it goes through in that time; there's your number to start with. You can always adjust.

Due to the usage and amounts of 'personal' calipers, OD mics, and indicators, I check these annually. There are calibrated gages on the shop floor for pre-use checks, this was required long-before we got ISO-9001.

My set-plug gages are used once per year, and only by me. These have a 5-year calibration and have been around for a few decades.

I have three height gages in calibration that are 'not calibrated until used', I've been in this position for about three years and have calibrated one, once.

Hope this helps.
  Post Number #13  
Old 17th February 2014, 01:01 PM
Helmut Jilling

Total Posts: 4,365

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by drgnrider View Post

To start with, this is what I am trying to do, an "x-days/y-uses" system.

From what I have seen it's all an "educated guess"! If the calibration is 3-months, and it always passes, about how many uses do you figure it goes through in that time; there's your number to start with. You can always adjust.

Due to the usage and amounts of 'personal' calipers, OD mics, and indicators, I check these annually. There are calibrated gages on the shop floor for pre-use checks, this was required long-before we got ISO-9001.

My set-plug gages are used once per year, and only by me. These have a 5-year calibration and have been around for a few decades.

I have three height gages in calibration that are 'not calibrated until used', I've been in this position for about three years and have calibrated one, once.

Hope this helps.
The info you are presenting sounds reasonable....
Thanks to Helmut Jilling for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #14  
Old 14th July 2017, 04:19 PM
ace3838

Total Posts: 2

This reminds me of getting your oil changed in your car. 3 months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first. It depends on a lot of things. The only way to know 100% is to start collecting data of days, temp and humidity in storage etc.. and see when they actually are out of cal. Then you can see what factors affect the date range. I would suggest your usage calibration interval but add a not to exceed 1 or 2 years depending on what type of equipment it is. Electronics should be done more frequently, anything with "potentially store energy" should be done more frequency. So torque wrenches and such more often.
Pressure gauges don't wear unless used
torque wrenches springs can loose elasticity so more often
electronics can get corroded and gain/loose resistance
dimensional units can get corroded and gain/loose length
These are just a few factors I can think of. It also depends on how accurate you need your measurements to be.
  Post Number #15  
Old 25th July 2017, 11:06 AM
Mohammed Gouda

Total Posts: 35

I faced this problem during planning of calibration intervals of my plant and I applied a simple procedure which helped me to control the calibration intervals based upon some factors.

We cam simplify this procedure as per the attached flowchart and the auditor accepted it and I applied it on my calibration plans for tracking of calibration due date according to the history of the equipment.

Your fruitful suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf Flowchart.pdf (95.2 KB, 10 views)

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Calibration Frequency (Interval)