Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 9001:2015, transition (between standards or revisions to a standard)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 13th February 2018, 08:35 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,376
Re: We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by pammesue View Post

We are ISO 9001 registered, about 60 employees. Manufacturing plant with some purchased products for resale. We have our own Design department. Mgt interest is sketchy. We have a quality manual and about 75 written processes...most are mfg work instructions that will not need to be changed.

Nashville TN area.
Like I said, how much you paying. I'm not a consultant but would love a trip to Nashville. .

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 13th February 2018, 09:21 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,688

Here's some questions, and please understand that I'm an auditor, I do nothing now but audit for a certification body, that's it, but I've done everything else in the past related to the management system process.

As an organization what is your reasoning for doing an ISO 9001 based quality system in the 1st place?

What is the value added benefit, to your company, of having a quality system with a 3rd party certification other than getting a warm fuzzy feeling and a nice sheet of paper with writing & a logo on the wall?

If it takes more than 60 seconds to come with an answer to each you'll be creating and embellishing.
Thanks to Randy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #11  
Old 14th February 2018, 11:45 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,884
Caution Re: We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

Hire an outside consultant. I'm sure several will be happy to take your money. How much you paying?
As do many enterprises! Consultants are worth their weight in avoiding many pitfalls that we read about here daily...
  Post Number #12  
Old 14th February 2018, 11:51 AM
Brizilla

Total Posts: 208

Quote:

We are ISO 9001 registered, about 60 employees. Manufacturing plant with some purchased products for resale. We have our own Design department. Mgt interest is sketchy. We have a quality manual and about 75 written processes...most are mfg work instructions that will not need to be changed.

Nashville TN area.
I'm a QA Manager not a consultant but I just came into a company with the same problem. Light management involvement, a 2008 QMS that barely any document had been updated since 2011 and no work done. After the Lead auditor training in September it took me about 3 months to upgrade and update the whole system (which mostly had to be rewritten), retrain the internal auditors get in the quick audits needed for the whole system in order to get ready for a first week in February audit. Passed with 2 minors that were fixed before the auditor left. I hope this timeline is of use to you. It all depends how robust your current system is. Auditor training isn't tough if you already do process auditing. You don't need a quality manual in the new system, I have one it's only 4 pages.
  Post Number #13  
Old 14th February 2018, 11:54 AM
pammesue

Total Posts: 64

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Brizilla View Post

I'm a QA Manager not a consultant but I just came into a company with the same problem. Light management involvement, a 2008 QMS that barely any document had been updated since 2011 and no work done. After the Lead auditor training in September it took me about 3 months to upgrade and update the whole system (which mostly had to be rewritten), retrain the internal auditors get in the quick audits needed for the whole system in order to get ready for a first week in February audit. Passed with 2 minors that were fixed before the auditor left. I hope this timeline is of use to you. It all depends how robust your current system is. Auditor training isn't tough if you already do process auditing. You don't need a quality manual in the new system, I have one it's only 4 pages.
well its good to know it can be done! The risk assessment is what I have an issue with. I want someone in here that can lead that and write the processes up accordingly.
  Post Number #14  
Old 14th February 2018, 12:13 PM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,581
Lightbulb Re: We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition

Quote:

well its good to know it can be done! The risk assessment is what I have an issue with. I want someone in here that can lead that and write the processes up accordingly.
pammesue,

Developing your organizationís process based management system is itself a risk assessment as:

A. Top management determines the processes necessary to fulfill the mission

B. You work with process owners to determine what is done to fulfill process objectives.

C. The resulting flowcharted procedures are reviewed by each process team for accuracy (as-is) and feasibility (if the process is new).

Your existing management system may have been developed to focus on what is done to prevent nonconformity in realizing opportunities. When you update it the focus is the same except that you may tease out what the organization already does to assess and treat significant adverse risks.

Please also see my PM.

John
  Post Number #15  
Old 14th February 2018, 12:48 PM
Brizilla

Total Posts: 208

Quote:

My two NC's were Risk analysis & Interested Parties. We had discussed both at Management review but they weren't comprehensively documented. I did an Interested Parties list and Risk FEMA in a day. Both were accepted by the auditor. We'll be using SWOT in the future but didn't have time to get the information out and run it before the audit.
Thanks to Brizilla for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #16  
Old 14th February 2018, 02:14 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,884
Let Me Help You Re: We have done NOTHING toward the ISO 9001 transition

Quote:

A risk assessment isn't necessary! All the ISO requirements ask you to do is identify internal and external issues - which can simply be accomplished through a SWOT analysis, documented in a Management Review. Simples!
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >