The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
TS 16949 - Allow Auditor to see Performance Evaluations?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

TS 16949 - Allow Auditor to see Performance Evaluations? - Page 10

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audits and auditing, confidential documents, iatf 16949:2016, performance evaluation & reviews (personnel)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #73  
Old 21st October 2003, 04:13 PM
db

Total Posts: 2,590
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mike S.

db,

Your mantra, which I like so much I have copied, is "show me the shall". Here it is: "...shall maintain appropriate records of education, training, skills, and experience". What do you tell the auditor who says "where are your records of education for Sam in the Manufacturing Dept. over there"?

NOTE: I'm not saying your idea doesn't make sense from a practical or common-sense standpoint, I'm only debating ISO's requirements.
There are two "keys" here. First, is the word "appropriate". I would argue that to generate a record just for the sake of generating a record is not "appropriate". If Sam attends some "appropriate" training, then I would have a record. If he doesn't then there will be no record. The second key is "experience". Why could I not use normal production records to show Sam's "experience"? I have to generate these records anyway, and they do, in fact, show Sam's performance.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #74  
Old 21st October 2003, 04:15 PM
db

Total Posts: 2,590
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ddhartma

I have to agree Wes. Competence should be the analysis of an individual's education, background, training and (where practicable) observed ability (may not be practicable when interviewing a possible new hire).
I would tend to agree as well, with the only exception being the record generation part.
  Post Number #75  
Old 21st October 2003, 05:07 PM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,247
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by db

There are two "keys" here. First, is the word "appropriate". I would argue that to generate a record just for the sake of generating a record is not "appropriate". If Sam attends some "appropriate" training, then I would have a record. If he doesn't then there will be no record. The second key is "experience". Why could I not use normal production records to show Sam's "experience"? I have to generate these records anyway, and they do, in fact, show Sam's performance.

Don't know if this makes the discussion any easier or not, but ISO's document "Guidance on the Documentation Requirements of ISO 9001:2000,
Document: ISO/TC 176/SC 2/N525R March 2001" says:

6.2.2 (e) Education, training, skills and experience

I would say that "appropriate" in 9001 means that you decide how detailed the records are, and in what medium (paper, computer, etc.) -- stuff like that. But since it does not say "or" there had better be some record of all 4 items - education, training, skills, and experience.

Again, I'm talking only about ISO's shalls -- not what would work in the real world. But, hey, I'm no registrar auditor and I'm not an ISO bigwig, I'm just a dummy trying to interpret another of the (IMO) ambiguous clauses of 9001.

No offense is intended toward anyone or their opinion!
  Post Number #76  
Old 22nd October 2003, 08:32 AM
Randy Stewart

Total Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Clause & Record required

6.2.2 (e) Education, training, skills and experience
No argument here, it is the competence issue that I have a real problem with. I do not see a requirement for a "record" to show competence. The records required are what has been deemed necessary to show "achievement of competence". And as stated prior - it doesn't ensure competence.

Quote:
Dr. Deming would have argued that nonconforming product is more likely the product of a bad system, out of the control of the individual operator.
Agreed!

The Toyota View
"We get brilliant results from average people managing brilliant processes. We observe our competitors often get average (or worse) results from brilliant people managing broken processes." - source - Dr. James Womac

So the true question becomes - where do you want to focus your resources?
  Post Number #77  
Old 22nd October 2003, 09:51 AM
Tom W

Total Posts: 414
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Deming would have argued that nonconforming product is more likely the product of a bad system, out of the control of the individual operator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed!

The Toyota View
"We get brilliant results from average people managing brilliant processes. We observe our competitors often get average (or worse) results from brilliant people managing broken processes." - source - Dr. James Womac

So the true question becomes - where do you want to focus your resources?[/

We can debate all day (or weeks) about if a record is needed or not. There is no right or wrong answer, just which battles you are willing to fight with your registrar. If the registrar doesn't ask for a record for this, then you have succeeded in the step that you do not need a record. But again I would caution those who think that competence is measured by conforming product. This is simply not correct as stated by several posts, competence of the employee can only get you so far. The system is what produces conforming product on an ongoing basis. Take one employee out and replace him with another and they should be able to continue to produce conforming product if the system is solid. (I think it would also help if the employee can chew gum and walk at the same time as well).

The original comment delt with a system that a company uses employee reviews as the RECORD for competence, yet wasn't sure about showing this type of record to the auditor. Staying in that context, can you say you measure competence, yet not show evidence of it. I would think that you could line out any confidential information on a couple of the reviews and show them the evaluation of competence topics.
  Post Number #78  
Old 12th January 2018, 12:23 PM
QChas

Total Posts: 73
Re: Allow Auditor to see Performance Evals?

Try this during your next audit .......
If the company gives them a paycheck they must be competent. Why would you pay someone that isn't competent?
  Post Number #79  
Old 13th January 2018, 04:26 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,351
Re: Allow Auditor to see Performance Evals?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by QChas View Post

If the company gives them a paycheck they must be competent. Why would you pay someone that isn't competent?
Competent people typically cost more. If having a paycheck meant competence, half of the people out there must be either unpaid volunteers or slaves.
  Post Number #80  
Old 13th January 2018, 07:01 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,973
Laughing Re: Allow Auditor to see Performance Evals?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by QChas View Post

Hahaha! That's a good one!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >