PCBA Visual Inspection Tools & Methods - discounting Optical Tools

Q

quality1

Hi All,

We're trying to improve our efficientcy and effectiveness in our SMT line process and one of the hold up is our First Article Inspection steps that requires a new batch goes thorugh FAI before continuing with the rest of the batch. I looked into Automated Optical Inspection tool and our budget will not allow us to procure more equipment. Has anyone utilize a quick visual inspection method like using a clear template copy of the PCBA fabrication drawing (laying it over the PCBA) to do inspection? or perhaps you can suggest other inspection ideas? Yes we're perfoming 100% since our batch are small. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :D

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: PCBA Visual Inspection Tools

Where does the requirement come from that says you have to complete the first article before you continue with the rest of the batch? Do you often have problems that are detected with the first article that requires changes to the setup?

I know many PCBA companies that will take the first board off the line and verify it while production continues to run. The risk is if there is a problem more boards have already been built requiring rework or scrap. However, if your history shows that there are almost never problems with the first article, the line can be producing parts instead of waiting.

S

spamman - 2009

As a customer to PCBA suppliers, I like the 1st article inspection but I agree with the continuation of the assembly line WHILE the visual inspection occurs on the 1st article. I do not know the length of time to perform the 1st article but at least AOI will provide the placement, orientation for accuracy. You may gain some efficiency buy doing AOI prior to reflow to keep the pick/place humming. Then run the PCBA through reflow and then inspect for solder flow, etc.

howste

Thaumaturge

I believe that Quality1 said there's no money in the budget for AOI equipment, and is looking for alternative first article inspection methods to increase efficiency. Is that right Quality1?

Q

quality1

Thanks for your responses, but I wasn't looking at debating right or wrong whether the line should be running while an FAI is being processed, in the future we're going to change that anyway. What I was asking for help was for inspection tools or methods to do the FAI faster discounting AOI. :)

Thanks

howste

Thaumaturge

I don't see anything wrong with using a clear template placed over the board for a quick verification. What's the main focus of the first article? Is it dimensional, or correct parts and orientation?

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hi All,

We're trying to improve our efficientcy and effectiveness in our SMT line process and one of the hold up is our First Article Inspection steps that requires a new batch goes thorugh FAI before continuing with the rest of the batch. I looked into Automated Optical Inspection tool and our budget will not allow us to procure more equipment. Has anyone utilize a quick visual inspection method like using a clear template copy of the PCBA fabrication drawing (laying it over the PCBA) to do inspection? or perhaps you can suggest other inspection ideas? Yes we're perfoming 100% since our batch are small. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :D

'PCBA inspection templates' are cheap and easily available -tailor made to your requirements. Majority of small time assemblers in India are using these templates for Q/A. You may search for suppliers in your area. There must be plenty.

Umang :D

G

Greg Ross

Hi All,

Hi,

There are systems available on the market that electronically control the functions you require. They perform this function by scanning the FAI PCB and connecting it together with the Pick and place data in order to locat the parts during FAI. Contact me using my profile email address should you wish to discuss offline.

Regards:agree1:

Last edited by a moderator:

harry

Hi,

Cluso Vision Systems produces a firsst article inspection system which is substantially cheaper that any AOI and is designed specifically for what you want.

Regards:agree1:

Welcome Greg,

I had reviewed your post and your user profile and concluded that your post is overt advertising in deference to the TOS (Terms of Service) agreement you acknowledged when you registered. We would like our users to know of your products or services, but please state your interest or relationship. When you choose to post in the forums again, you must disclose your affiliation with products you are recommending. You are allowed to say something like, "I can help you with that, my contact information is in my profile if you would like to contact me". However, SOME help or advice in the post is appropriate and requested.

TOS

3. POSTS BY VENDORS AND CONSULTANTS - COMMERCIAL POSTS

a. Spamming the forums with advertisements is not allowed. If you are registering to sell electronic/electric or other commercial items, your post(s) will be deleted within minutes and you will be banned from the forum.

b. If you are in any way, financially or other wise, 'related' to a product or company under discussion, it is required that you state your relationship. Feel free to respond to questions but let us know if you are 'related'. HOWEVER - We want content in the forums, not just a referral to your web site or products or services. If you want to post an outright advertisement, have a product to sell, a demo or whatever, please call or e-mail Marc Smith to discuss.

c. Products or services you may be associated with, along with a link to your company's web site, can be detailed in your User Profile. As you interact with the community, folks will naturally look at the profile and see your information. If there's something specific you think your product or service can help with, please give a detailed explanation and then refer people to your profile for information. Please help in the post rather than to just say you have a product which will 'cure all'... A simple statement that your product will solve someone's problem is not sufficient. Your web site url, telephone number, company name and your product can be put in your Profile. They are not allowed in posts you make. **If you post a simple "My product will help you" type of post, expect the post to be deleted or heavily edited.

We sure do appreciate you coming to the Cove, and do look forward to your continued assistance. If you have any further questions/ comments, please feel free to contact me or any other moderator.

Again, Welcome! WE ALL look forward to your participation in the forums.

Last edited:
G

Greg Ross

Welcome Greg,

I had reviewed your post and your user profile and concluded that your post is overt advertising in deference to the TOS (Terms of Service) agreement you acknowledged when you registered. We would like our users to know of your products or services, but please state your interest or relationship. When you choose to post in the forums again, you must disclose your affiliation with products you are recommending. You are allowed to say something like, "I can help you with that, my contact information is in my profile if you would like to contact me". However, SOME help or advice in the post is appropriate and requested.

We sure do appreciate you coming to the Cove, and do look forward to your continued assistance. If you have any further questions/ comments, please feel free to contact me or any other moderator.

Again, Welcome! WE ALL look forward to your participation in the forums.

Sorry, did not realise what I had done, did not intend it to be advertising simply stating fact. Will not happen again.

Top Bottom