Goods-In Process Audit - Any pointers or hints for conducting a 'good' audit?

A

andyj

Hi guys,

I've been viewing the forum for a number of months now, in preperation for conducting several 'new' internal process audits at a new company I'm working for.

My first task is going to be to conduct an internal audit on the Goods-In Process. Have any other people on here conducted Internal Audits on their Goods-In processes?

Any pointers/hints for conducting a 'good' audit?

Cheers,

Andy

M

mshell

Hi Andy,

Here are my suggestions:

1. Make sure the product is properly identified at each stage.
2. Look @ how the employees handle nonconforming product.
3. Verify that each operator has the same understanding of how the processes work.
4. Review employee training records for the process you are auditing.
5. Ask the operators if the current processes are accurate.
6. Ask the operators what they would do to improve upon the current processes.
7. Verify calibration of tools being used to test product.
8. Verify documentation is the latest rev level.
9. Verify approvals at each stage of production.
10. Ask the operators if the release of new product from design and development causes excessive problems on the production floor.

These are just a few things. I am sure that other covers will have much to add.

Mshell

D

D.Scott

Welcome Andy,

The place to start would be the procedure/procedures that define what is done in the "Goods-In Process". If there is a process map/flow chart/turtle, do a little research to determine who is responsible, what do they do, how do they do it, how do they measure effectiveness and what are the expected results of the process. Follow the process and determine if they do what it says they do. Talk to employees and determine if they are competent in what they do. Look for gaps in the process. If, for example, there is an approved supplier list and their materials are taken straight to production, what happens to the rest who are not on the list? Be very aware of the final results of the process and ensure they meet the intended outputs.

Obviously, this isn't a complete audit plan but it gives you a start. Review your process, do your research, determine what needs to be looked at, make a checklist of the things you want to look at or ask, start with the inputs and follow the process. Ask if something isn't clear, be objective, open and polite. Take good notes, look at objective evidence and don't make assumptions. Good luck.

Dave

A

andyj

Thanks for your comments :)

I'd covered most of those already, but the others are much appreciated input :)

Hoping to conduct the audit at the beginning of next week. Will keep you posted how it goes.

Cheers,

Andy

Top Bottom