Key differences between a Level 2 and a Level 4 PPAP

K

KWB64

:confused:
Please describe the key defference between a level 2 and a level 4 PPAP.

As I undertand it, with level 2 the supplier shall submit mimimal supporting evidence (i.e. psw, samples, full dimensional report, and material cert) and retain the other applicable elements. All 18 applicable elements are required.

For level 4, the customer defines element by element whether it is required or not and if required whether it is to be retained or submitted. Only those elements specifically defined as required by the customer need to be completed.

Thank-you

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: Level 2 Vs. Level 4 PPAP

All 5 levels of PPAP require you to retain all the "elements" of the PPAP. The variable is what is submitted to the customer. There is a table on page 18 of the PPAP manual (4th ed) that outlines it for you.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

:confused:
Please describe the key defference between a level 2 and a level 4 PPAP.

As I undertand it, with level 2 the supplier shall submit mimimal supporting evidence (i.e. psw, samples, full dimensional report, and material cert) and retain the other applicable elements. All 18 applicable elements are required.

For level 4, the customer defines element by element whether it is required or not and if required whether it is to be retained or submitted. Only those elements specifically defined as required by the customer need to be completed.

Thank-you

For Level 2 (according to the 4th Edition PPAP manual), the design record, engineering change records (if any), dimensional results, material and performance test results, qualified lab documentation, appearance approval report (if applicable), sample product and PSW must be submitted.

For Level 4, the specific elements "as defined by customer" must be submitted and everything else is retained. Unless the customer has explicitly waived specific elements, the supplier is required to complete and retain them.

In other words, while Level 2 is specific regarding elements to be submitted, Level 4 is like an à la carte menu from which the customer selects specific elements. All submission levels require completion and retention of elements not submitted.

K

KWB64

I agree Level 4 is "a la carte", but the customer must make the selections. R = retain, S = submit, * = not selected (i.e. element not required to be retained or submitted).

Thank-you,
Kevin

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I agree Level 4 is "a la carte", but the customer must make the selections. R = retain, S = submit, * = not selected (i.e. element not required to be retained or submitted).

Thank-you,
Kevin

I'm not sure what you're referring to with your abbreviations, in particular the asterisk meaning that the completion of the element is waived. Is this a particular customer method (e.g., some sort of checklist) you're dealing with?

Top Bottom