Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Over age 65

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Never

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
B

Bill Pflanz

I have read a number of articles and books on retiring early recently. Although we have had polls on how much people like their jobs or would leave quality if they could, I thought a poll on when you expect or want to retire would be interesting. In order to retire, it implies that it is voluntary, that you feel you have sufficient financial means to do it and do not plan to take another full time position. Working part time in a new field would still make you retired unless you needed to work to make ends meet.

Besides giving your vote, maybe you could also provide some comments on what you plan to do in retirement. If you take an early retirment, you may be looking at being retired almost as long as you have worked so having a plan may be needed. Or you could just plan on a life of leisure with no real plans.

Bill Pflanz

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I'm gonna say around 60 if our investments work out as they're supposed to.
Maybe later - depends on what I'm doing at the time and how much I'm enjoying it.
After that I think I'd like to spend time working in the wood shop I'll have assembled by then. Maybe work part time in a hobby shop or comic shop.
Maybe substitute teach.

Randy

Super Moderator
I would retire (or quit) from what I'm presently doing right now if I could.

I have already reaped 2 retirements, but the financial strength of them is pretty poor.

As it looks I'll be working until I drop.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I'd like to follow Dr. Deming's example - he worked up until one week before his death at age 92. . .

What does that mean - probably after formal retirement (which is up to 67 now for Social Security) try to do some consulting / training/ teaching on the "side".

K

Kevin H

Hi Bill, current plans for retirement are about age 67, which is 12 years from now. At that point, the house should be paid off and finances in semi-reasonable shape. I'd still plan on pursuing hobbies such as blacksmithing which might help provide some spare cash, don't know if I'd try to do anything on the quality side or not. If things got boring, I'd probably look for part-time work or do some sort of volunteer work.

D

Dean Frederickson

Not planning on retirement, (don't think I will make it that far) I have money so if I should accidently live to retirement I won't be a burden on anyone but my 2 heirs. I think I will quit working for a living in my mid 60s. And then I will work to keep from going nuts.:D

D

David DeLong

Early retirement?? To do what?

I love what I do and have just this year ventured into presenting online seminars in addition to public and private ones. Even though I do collect a pension, I will never retire.

Unless

Someone asks me something and I forgot what seminar I am presenting. Now it is time to retire.

We all might get older but NEVER get OLD!

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I tried to do the opposite of Doris Day and have my birth date moved back so I could retire early but have been unsuccessful to date. :(

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Friends,

I will not retire. I love my job too much. However, I will ease my work/travel schedule and take my wife to nice places where I do work. A win for the both of us.

Stijloor.

C

cthink

As long as I enjoy my job and the organisation I work in I think I'll be happy working for while yet. I do plan however to make sure I have time to spend with my other half and hopefully our grandchildren in our "later" years.

I must confess that I do only work part-time (just shifted from 3 days per week back up to 4 days per week) for a fantastic community development organisation so work is good :tg: Being Quality Coordinator for an organisation with a vision of "Enhancing Individuals and Enriching the Community" makes coming to work each day very easy indeed.

And just in case you think that 3-4 days a week is already qualifying me for retirement, :biglaugh: I'm also an elected local government representative (Councillor) as well, 3 years into a 4 year term which accounts for every other spare moment I have but worth every bit of it.

Look forward to reading other's views.

Top Bottom