Calibration of Rockwell Hardness Tester

A

Alvin Beichler

We have recently bought a used Rockwell hardness tester to do some informal verification of material hardness.
It has been a while since I worked in a met lab with this type of apparatus and I was wondering if it would meet the requirement if I calibrated (on a regular basis) with a NIST master set of standards.
I think I remember that this would be acceptable

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
We have recently bought a used Rockwell hardness tester to do some informal verification of material hardness.
It has been a while since I worked in a met lab with this type of apparatus and I was wondering if it would meet the requirement if I calibrated (on a regular basis) with a NIST master set of standards.
I think I remember that this would be acceptable

Hello Alvin! Welcome to The Cove Forums.

Yes it is. Ensure that the person performing this calibration task is competent to do so including the availability of records that show the evidence.

Include the tester in your calibration program. Ensure that the masters are traceable to NIST or recognized standard.

Good Luck and Happy Testing!

Stijloor.

K

Koala

Alvin,
Our rockwell over the years (10+) had given us so much trouble from oems during audits- we finally took it out of our documentation and processes. It was the first area they always went to to look for issues even though it isn't a requirement (for us) in any specification. We used internally for a hardness check. Word of caution- document document document. Reference only reference only reference only. When you calibrate it- make sure you document the process clearly. Ensure the person calibrating knows how to do this. I don't know what kind of equipment you are using etc. But I can't tell you how often we got in trouble due to this piece of equipment even though it isn't required. If the indentations need to be at least 1 1/2 spaces from the edge- make sure they are. If they need to be at least 3 spaces from each other- make sure they are. (Seating the equipment).
Just some advice. If it saves you headache- it was worth my words. Best of luck.

J

Jeff Frost

Calibration methods are usually part of specifications such as ASTM-E-18 or check your last calibration cert for specification used or call the manufacture for further information.

V

vinesmaran

yes jeff, i'm doing it based on E18 & ISO6508....
complicated though because our customer demands us to do direct verification. im in the midst of doing indirect verification, hope the result and can explain to customer stating that indirect result is ok no need to proceed for direct.

please advice:agree:

D

dbzman

Isn’t MSA also a requirement for hardness testers under TS section 7.6.1?

:bonk:

Top Bottom